[EPG] Firefox or ??? plugin plus MP plugin to view and "use" web-site EPG (1 Viewer)

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
April 25, 2012
Wisconsin
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
In the US, there is a nice web-site called Zap2It.com that can be customized to show the channels you want. It carries nice descriptions with photos upon clicking on the show in the grid.

I wonder if a Firefox plugin and/or an MP plugin could be developed which would display that web-site or others like it and intercept certain mouse clicks and cause MP to tune to or record that channel, in a fashion similar to the standard EPG.

The standard zap2it web-site would work best with a mouse, but they may have a mobile version that would work better with touch or a remote.

I understand that zap2it's parent company is the major supplier of guide information in the US, and they supply microsoft among others.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    this is one thing I miss from BeyondTV. BTV is a zap2it customer and I can login a BTV TV EPG page, select a show and say I want to record 1 episode, all episodes, or all new episodes. The BTV SW will periodically auto download the remote recording. zap2it has support for Tivo but you need a Tivo account. I think tvguide.com has some directtv support.

You can sort of do this with www.titantv.com. If you setup an account you can select a show and download a "program.tvpi" file to record the show. The file looks like xml. They also mention supporting PVRs like hauppauge, RedButton Linux Live, see "Related Links" on bottom of page.

example tvpi file

Code:
    <tv-program-info version="1.0">
    <program>
    <station>KPIX-DT</station>
    <tv-mode>digital</tv-mode>
    <program-title>Survivor: Blood vs. Water</program-title>
    <episode-title>Rule In Chaos</episode-title>
    <program-description>The first castaway is sent home for good after the season&apos;s first challenge on Redemption Island; the veterans consider starting their own alliance, but some are hesitant because that means they may have to leave their loved ones behind.</program-description>
    <start-date>20130926</start-date>
    <start-time>03:00</start-time>
    <end-date>20130926</end-date>
    <end-time>04:00</end-time>
    <duration>01:00</duration>
    <rf-channel>29</rf-channel>
    <psip-major>5</psip-major>
    <psip-minor>1</psip-minor>
    <stream-number>1</stream-number>
    </program>
    </tv-program-info>

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Seems like either idea could work, if fast enough and reliable enough. (Keep the web-site open, use it, auto detect the download, and act on it.)

Simple. :)

Once upon a time I was a software developer, but no more, so if anybody wants to give it a shot, I'd be happy to test.

FWIW, I run Firefox on the big screen, using the "Opera Mobile Launcher" MP-plugin together with a couple of Firefox plugins to enlarge the text, etc. It also works with World Weather as the browser for weather maps -- I forget what the option is called. The only problems are no keyboard, and no "bring to front" capability for either MP or Firefox with just a mouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom