Fixed - MediaPortal crashes the second I hit play on a video (1 Viewer)

apoptygma

Portal Pro
November 14, 2008
Adelaide
Home Country
Okay so the short story is I had the PC running MP 1.0.2.0 on XP SP3. Everything was working fine.
I've reinstalled windows XP SP3 (fortunatly I have an acronis image I can flip back to if needed) and installed MediaPortal 1.0.2.0 again as well as Moving Pictures, MPTVseries and StreamedMP. (same as what I had before the rebuild).

This worked for about 4-5 hours then when I went to watch an episode of a TV show the whole program froze. I hit Ctrl+alt+del and kill mediaportal which shows as not responding, now I reload the application and try another video, same result. application freeze.
I've looked at the logs and *nothing* gets recorded, even with the log level cranked up to debug. It's all unrelated stuff like tv-shows being scraped and all [info]

To elaborate:

I try removing CCCP 09-09-2009 and installing the Vista Codec pack (Sharky?) and this doesn't fix anything.
I tried an older nVidia driver for the display, this didn't fix it
I tried updating directX, this didn't fix it.

Then I installed MP 1.1.0.0 RC4 - This fixed it

Then a few hours later it starts happening again, same exact behavior. Lockups when hitting 'play' on any video.

I reinstall MP 1.1.0.0 RC4 again, after deleting all the databases, config files etc again.

A few hours later it happens again.

MP3 playback from 'my music' is fine but any video from either 'my videos' or the two other plugins causes the hang

this system was stable for ~2 years on 1.0.1.0 and 1.0.2.0 with the same dbs and config files and windows install, it's only after reinstalling windows that I've come into these problems.

It's a very minimal install and I can rule out hardware as an issue as the configuration hasn't changed

I've got only the following installed:

Windows XP SP3
All current windows updates
nForce + nVidia drivers
MediaPortal
Moving Pictures
MPmyTVseries
StreamedMP
DirectX 9.0 (9.28.1886)

The only thing I've had that's even slightly close to a clue was an error logged once in the dozens of crashes that reads 'Error OnResize" which seems to come from directX (hence updating to the newest end-user runtime)

googling this just lead me to this post

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/software-175/d3dapp-error-occured-onresize-35304/ with no replies

My next step is to re-image from the original install, copy+paste the entire MediaPortal install and Application data folders to another partition, re-image back to the new install and replace the current install. While doing this I'll check all the video renderer settings in the old install.

Currently it's set for ffdshow as the filter for all video playback and directsound for audio.

Given that the crash happens when tuning TV as well as playing back video files, it would be logical to assume this an issue with codecs but It doesn't seem the case given that I've installed different codec packs with the same result.

Any other suggestions on what to try in the way of troubleshooting would be great and I'm quite stumped here and I've spend a good couple of days on this one

MediaPortal Version: First 1.0.2.0 then 1.1.0.0 RC4
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 and/or StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
CPU Type: AMD LE-1250
HDD: 2tb Western Digital
Memory: 2gb DDR2 666
Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM
Video Card: Geforce 8600GT
Video Card Driver: 182.50 and/or 195.xx
Sound Card: On-Board ACC HD / realtek
1. TV Card: Dvico Lite/Home
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 3.68.04
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Antec NSK2480
Cooling: 2x120mm Fans
Power Supply: 380W Antec
Remote: Sunwave SMR-140
TV: LG SD/CRT
TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

Looking around the forums I've just read about a problem with mediainfo.dll
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/my-tvseries-162/locking-up-playing-episode-81879/index2.html

Perhaps this is what's happening to me?

I should also mention:
I have also tried having MePo launch and external player (Media Player Classic) and the same lockup happened!

I might have to try another version of this, I think the newer one might have been installed with StreamedMP and that's what's happening here...

Posted my logs here.. This was with debug level and captured from the time of loading to the crash where I need to 'end task'
Cleaned them before I loaded MP too.

Nothing useful I can see in there

2010-06-08 19:11:30.671875 [In - Anonymous - jt08QTN8 - Pastebin.com

2010-06-08 19:10:50.421875 [In - Anonymous - g4kagzeH - Pastebin.com

I've tried another mediainfo.dll but the only one I could find on the site is 7.3.3 which is what I had I think from the StreamedMP install.
Can I get an older one anywhere?

apoptygma

Portal Pro
November 14, 2008
Adelaide
Home Country
Re: MediaPortal crashes the second I hit play on a video

Further reading has revealed that MPmyTvseries also installs a version of mediainfo.dll. It's sounding more and more like this is the problem.

I'm using the following versions of plugins

mptvseries 2.5.4.1080
movingpictures 1.0.4
StreamedMP 1.2.0.1410

I'm guessing one of them isn't compatible with the 7.3.3 version of MediaInfo.DLL ??

apoptygma

Portal Pro
November 14, 2008
Adelaide
Home Country
Re: MediaPortal crashes the second I hit play on a video

Problem solved - After much messing around. movingpictures 1.0.4 & mediainfo.dll 7.3.3 together hang the machine. Replaced the mediainfo.dll with an older version and it fixed it.

BBloke

Portal Member
November 6, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I would just like to say a big THANK YOU. It drove me nuts for about an hour and trying to get something reasonable out of google took its time too but I landed on your post and it's saved my hair (what left of it).

I upgraded to RC4 and installed the new StreamedMP skin and checked the MediaInfo.dll files. Pre streamedMP update it was 7.3.1. After the skin update it changed to 7.3.2. Every video crashed MP after that. Reverting back to 7.3.1 did the trick.

Thanks apoptygma you are a life saver. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom