[ATI] Flickering, Tearing in 1080p24, smooth as silk with rendering stats enabled. dshowhelper?? (1 Viewer)

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I have one mp4 film(avatar) which won't play well if I set dynamic refresh rate to 23.976.
    Everything else is fine and all other similar files are fine. It cause flickering and tearing in bottom of the screen.
    when Screen is set to 23.976 and file itself is 23.976. My Apu is 6530D. Tv is Samsung 5505 led smart-tv.

Anyway. If I hit shift+! to get rendering stats, there is no dropped frames at all. But most amasing thing is that
    flickering and Tearing is all gone !. Graphs are all straight lines, no spikes, and picture is smooth as silk.
    After hitting shift+! again to remove rendering stats, then flickering starts again.

I've disable all video quality settings in CCC, if that matters.

I'm at work now, but I can post logs, if anyone is able or willing to help.

regards,

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The only thing enabling the render stats should do is increase the rendering time (because the CPU+GPU have more work to do).

Only suggestion I have is trying my 1.3.0 experimental dshowhelper - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp-1-3-x-dshowhelper-development.113014/ - and enabling 'DWM queued mode' in the registry settings (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\EVR Presenter\EnableDWMQueuedMode = 1)

Another user is thinking about using an A6 APU - maybe you could offer some advice - see https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/budget-build.113358/page-2

Tony

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    The only thing enabling the render stats should do is increase the rendering time (because the CPU+GPU have more work to do).

Only suggestion I have is trying my 1.3.0 experimental dshowhelper - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp-1-3-x-dshowhelper-development.113014/ - and enabling 'DWM queued mode' in the registry settings (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\EVR Presenter\EnableDWMQueuedMode = 1)

Another user is thinking about using an A6 APU - maybe you could offer some advice - see https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/budget-build.113358/page-2

Tony
    Thanks for the reply. I've already tried those dshowhelpers, without any luck. Ill post some logs now, in case anything can be seen from those.

Regards,

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have exactly the same problem: Tearing on the bottom of the screen while playing a 16:9 1080p24 file with my TV (Samsung UE40C6200) set to 1920x1080 and 24 Hz. My graphics card is an AMD HD4250. No matter what I set in CCC or which video decoder I chose there was always tearing on the bottom of the screen. For 21:9 movies I have not seen it because of the black bars. The problem also occurred using XBMC which uses internal codecs, I think.
    Then I changed from EVR to VMR9 and the tearing was gone. But the wiki states that using EVR there should be less tearing. Are there any disadvantages with VMR9 or should I just stay with it because it works?

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    This may be an ATI driver bug, if you have a newer ATI card try the 12.11 beta4 or later CATALYSTS; these have been the best release for almost a year for me, using an HD7750.

If you have an older card which is classed legacy the last release CATS12.6 legacy or quite poor, try an earlier release like 12.1 or 11.12.

Ensure a full/clean uninstal of the existing drivers reboot and then instal drivers of your choice; I personnaly still don't like insatlling drivers over the top of existing instals.

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just tried Catalyst 12.1 after a clean uninstall. With EVR the tearing is still there and I did not notice any improvements. With VMR9 there is no tearing.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    If you bring up the MP STATS ( shift +1 ) while using EVR what ,if any, are there dropped frames.
    Render time should be stable and under 4ms.

You could try the 675 release in this thread

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp-1-3-x-dshowhelper-development.113014/

Ensure you try with the "EnableDWMQueuedMode" seting on '1' and '0' access via regedit, just stop playback change setting and the start playback, no need to restart MP once installed.

OOPS|1 I see you are using MP 1.2.3, there is a link to the required dll for this release

Last edited:

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your help, but where is the link to the dlls for 1.2.3?

Anyway, I looked at the stats. When I start them during playback there are already 29 dropped frames, but this number does not increase. If the stats are started before playback there are 19 dropped frames. The render time is at 31.9 ms (way above 4).

ixdvc

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you. Finally it works. The tearing was gone once I enabled Aero. It was disabled because I thought this would lead to an increase in performance. Render time went down to (6.2-6.9) ms. But why is this the case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom