For the Record - is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Could be a wise decision, it is easier in my opinion to setup, I also use xmltvgui to get my epg, piece of cake to setup, and I get 14 days worth of programmes.

It's a standalone application that I have a task wake up the pc for grab and it then exports the file into FTR, pretty comprehensive using radiotimes or digiguide.

If there is a downside to TVServer, its epg grabbing, we know about it, just cannot pinpoint what causes the problem with it enabled for "grab epg whilst idle" (errors\Crash).

larsgk12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007

Bond28

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 27, 2011
    Home Country
    Hmm. Well I have already began to configure 4TR now and I am not one to stop what I have started. So I will persevere but I now know that this plugin exists. Thanks

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Bond28 - Can you give some feedback on how you get on. I have considered 4TR for a while now and never made the leap, so I would be interested in how things go.

Robbo100

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Just to say the one thing I found irritating was mapping the guide channels, if I did loads in one go it would not save, if I did half a dozen at a time it was fine, as this is a one off setup, except for new channels, put up with it, advantages far outweight this little niggle.

sshot-21.jpg

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    EDIT - I am adding my own findings as I learn more showing the answers in quotes inline with my own questions.

I have had a more detailed read of the 4TR website (I have read the installation manual cover to cover), and I am quite keen, but I have a couple of questions which I hope people can answer (please let me know if these are not allowed in the MP forum because they are technically about MP). I usually try to be one of the people helping to answer questions on this forum, so sorry for asking loads myself.

1) Is it better to use the MP TV Server, or to use the Argus Tuner - and why?

Argus is reportedly more stable

2) I use PowerScheduler++, does 4TR do a similar thing? If using the MP TV Server plugin with 4TR, which software controls putting the PC into Standby?

3) If I use the Argus Tuner, what is the best way of migrating across to 4TR, should I just disable the TV Server service at windows startup?

Apparently this is the best way to do it

4) If it all goes horribly wrong, is it likely that I am going to be able to just uninstall 4TR and re-enable the MP TV Server service (I suppose I could just do a drive image of my OS partition before I start messing around)?

5) My TV Server is on Windows XP SP3 - is this going to be compatible with 4TR?

6) I run a client server system (only one client), but my server is essentially configured as "Single Seat" will this be OK.

It seems to be OK

7) What do I need to do on the client side. Will the current client TV plugin just connect to the 4TR server as long as the server host name is correct?

It connects to 4TR as soon as the client side plugins are enabled

8) Will my existing MP recordings but imported into 4TR?

9) When there are future MP updates, will I have to wait until there is an update to 4TR before I can update, or will it generally work?

10) Not that I personally use it, but if someone I knew used MDAPI, would this work with 4TR Argus tuner and where would I find instructions as to where to put the appropriate files (please don't post specific instructions on this forum since it is not permitted)?

It works - my friend will be happy!

11) With 4TR allow recording of multiple channels from a single mux using a single tuner (using either the MP or Argus tuner)?

Yes, albeit the limitation defined by PD (below) may need to be considered.

Thanks (and sorry for the really really long list of stupid questions).

Robbo100

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Morning Robbo

1) Is it better to use the MP TV Server, or to use the Argus Tuner - and why?

If you have a working tvserver, cannot see any reason to change that, unless you are having stability issues, and thats not saying Argus would be better, as usually hardware related.

2) I use PowerScheduler++, does 4TR do a similar thing? If using the MP TV Server plugin with 4TR, which software controls putting the PC into Standby?

FTR relies on Windows power settings and WOL, so no plugins are needed at all, this works well with Windows7, cannot comment on XP.

3) If I use the Argus Tuner, what is the best way of migrating across to 4TR, should I just disable the TV Server service at windows startup?

Yes, but unless you really need it why bother, it will make things more complicated to move over too.

4) If it all goes horribly wrong, is it likely that I am going to be able to just uninstall 4TR and re-enable the MP TV Server service (I suppose I could just do a drive image of my OS partition before I start messing around)?

System image everytime ;)

I'll let someone running XP in multiseat answer the rest.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Being the over eager fool that I am, I have already started re-setting it up using the Argus tuner (I am a gluten for punishment!)

How do I stop MediaPortal trying to connect to the TV Service when the Client starts?

Robbo100

Actually, ignore me, MP will auto-connect to 4TR with the same settings once the 4TR service is running!

Robbo100

mkjustuk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2011
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Can't answer most as I run Win7 single seat, but I've never had an issue using MP TV instead of Argus. Q 11 I cam confirm this works, I've had three HD recordings off a single Freeview HD tuner and 8+ off a twin SD tuner at once.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    10) Not that I personally use it, but if someone I knew used MDAPI, would this work with 4TR Argus tuner and where would I find instructions as to where to put the appropriate files (please don't post specific instructions on this forum since it is not permitted)?

Be careful with this, because it can change your cam limit from "0" default, which then stops multiple recordings on the same transponder from happening, other that that, I have little knowledge about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom