Force IMDb+: Switch existing themoviedb imports over to use IMDb+ (1 Viewer)

dietbutcher

Portal Member
February 4, 2007
Hi Rochess,

Thanks for all your hard work on this great scraper!

I have 1.2.0.133 installed with the updated StreamedMP XML so I get the IMDB+ Info showing correctly in Streamed MP. I first installed the plugin version right before 1.2.0.133, enabled "Force IMDB+" then went in the back end of Moving Pictures configuration to refresh all my movies as explained in your Wiki (before there were the options inside MP)

When I look at the IMDB+ Info it shows that 1012 Movies are using IMDB+ as a Scraper Source but 1382 are using an alternative source. When I go to "Update all Movies" within IMDB+ inside mediaportal, the log file shows that it is refreshing the 1012 Movies, but not doing anything with the other 1382.

Any pointers how I can get my entire collection moved over to IMDB+?

Thanks again.

hilfer

Portal Pro
November 3, 2010
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Re: IMDb+ Scraper - Movie Scraping on Steroids v3.3.3

Hi RoChess:

Happy to see that you have finished new version.

I stll have some doubts:

1- On MPEI i see version 1.0..0.99 and on wiki page here : Downloads - imdbplus - IMDb+ scraper for MediaPortal's MovingPictures plugin - Google Project Hosting
I see vers. 1.2.0.133 !!!! which one to use ?? or this is the same ??

Now can you please tell me if new scraper can work as follows:

1- Main tittle for my movies : in Portuguese (IMDB has actually almost all titles in Portuguese-Portugal)
2- Original tille as second tittle.

those 2 options I think might be possible as this is how it worked before when I used former IMDB scraper.
3- summary : 1st option portuguese-Portugal 2nd option portuguese-Brasil 3rd option : when 1st and 2nd are not
available get the english summary.

Is this possible right now with this last release ??

Thanks once again for your great work.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Hi RoChess:

Happy to see that you have finished new version.

I stll have some doubts:

1- On MPEI i see version 1.0..0.99 and on wiki page here : Downloads - imdbplus - IMDb+ scraper for MediaPortal's MovingPictures plugin - Google Project Hosting
    I see vers. 1.2.0.133 !!!! which one to use ?? or this is the same ??

Get the latest version here or download from google code (the link you gave). v1.2.0.133 is the latest.

Now can you please tell me if new scraper can work as follows:

1- Main tittle for my movies : in Portuguese (IMDB has actually almost all titles in Portuguese-Portugal)

those 2 options I think might be possible as this is how it worked before when I used former IMDB scraper.

I think that's possible by setting the 'Country Filter' to Portugese (not sure tho)

3- summary : 1st option portuguese-Portugal 2nd option portuguese-Brasil 3rd option : when 1st and 2nd are not
    available get the english summary.

Is this possible right now with this last release ??

you can select 1 primary language for the summary (Portugese in your case) and can only have English as 'fallback language'.

Install the plugin and look @ the settings, RoChess gave an explanation for every 1 of them when using the GUI.

RoChess, i'm looking forward to the implementation of Dutch Summaries :)

I noticed 1 tiny thing: When i enter 'IMDb+ INFO' in the plugin, the only way out is using 'back'. I can't navigate to the X in top right ;)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

StreamedMP users will soon be lucky to have direct integration of IMDb+ inside the MovingPictures plugin, as per:

Plugin.IMDb+.StreamedMP.MovPic.Integration.jpg

Since it is possible to detect if the IMDb+ plugin is installed and only show the button when it is, hopefully those changes can be made to the MovingPictures plugin itself as well as that one carries the skin files I would need to adjust. I might otherwise make the XML file in question available as a seperate download and you can overwrite the file manually yourself.

When I look at the IMDB+ Info it shows that 1012 Movies are using IMDB+ as a Scraper Source but 1382 are using an alternative source. When I go to "Update all Movies" within IMDB+ inside mediaportal, the log file shows that it is refreshing the 1012 Movies, but not doing anything with the other 1382.

Those movies most likely got imported with TheMovieDb scraper, but we are working on allowing you to 'Force IMDb+' on any existing entry that was added by a scraper that also added a valid IMDb tt-ID to your database. Because it is guaranteed that the default IMDb scraper does this, we simply scan the database for the scraper script ID and swap it with the IMDb+ one, but now we have to modify that to look for valid tt1234567 entries.

That might still leave a few movies assigned to an alternative scraper, such as TheMovieDb, because they have some movies in their system that do not exist at the IMDb website. For example I have a few of the Ghost Rider bike movies in my collection and they do not exist at IMDb, but they do have an entry at TheMovieDb, such as:

Ghost Rider #1 - The Final Ride

(PS: If you ever thought you have driven fast from point A to B, I highly suggest watching that movie, or the original Paris race that started the phenomena. Both are available on YouTube to some extend).

1- On MPEI i see version 1.0..0.99

The MPEI system has to load the new update.xml file first to be aware of latest version. Normally it is configured to download all these files when you start it, but perhaps you have this disabled. Then you have to manually do so, via "Options" -> "Download online update info", and you will then see there is an update available for the IMDb+ plugin. The latest version adds more cool options to the plugin, so that one would be 'best', but both obtain the most recent IMDb+ scraper script so in that regard they are the same. The ability to refresh your entire collection (or just the rename database ones) is worth upgrading though, and you will be able to see detailed info on IMDb+ itself.

3- summary : 1st option portuguese-Portugal 2nd option portuguese-Brasil 3rd option : when 1st and 2nd are not available get the english summary.

You can modify the scraper script to accept other languages and countries as if they where 'English'. So you have to add Portugese as a language and Portugal and Brazil as countries. I thought I had given you the options file that would have done so already, but maybe I overlooked something. I'm working on adding MovieMeter.nl support to the scraper-script, and that is actually a language I know, so I'll be able to test myself to see if it works and update the Wiki with information on what foreign users should do to make it work.

However I'm also working on proper foreign title support, so I might just go straight for that option.

RoChess, i'm looking forward to the implementation of Dutch Summaries :)

I noticed 1 tiny thing: When i enter 'IMDb+ INFO' in the plugin, the only way out is using 'back'. I can't navigate to the X in top right ;)

The MovieMeter PHP proxy script already works, so just have to add all the regexp code to the scraper-script now to "read" the data properly and put it through the wringers to make sure it works.

I see indeed that on DefaultWide with keyboard navigation, you are stuck on the page-tab control. One of those things I tested up/down with keyboard, but closed windows via mouse when tested. So will fix that :)

treponem

Portal Member
    December 29, 2008

Hi RoChess

Great plugin! I' doing some tests and found some "problems". First, I'm on German settings, and many morvies still have ofdb.de as primary source in MP and also an imdb id. Is it possible to replace the ofdb.de scraper also in the options with imdb?
    Second, I set the scraper to get the full info of imdb.de. Unfortunately the imdb.de info is shortened on the main page. Here is an example:
    Watchmen: Watchmen - Die Wächter (2009) - The full synopsis is only visible on Watchmen - Die Wächter (2009) - Inhaltsangabe
    Best summary is on OFDb - Inhaltsangabe zu Watchmen - Die Wächter (2009) but I don't think you will support this site.

dietbutcher

Portal Member
    February 4, 2007

Great, glad to hear something is in the works, is there any other workaround to force the movies that scraped with TheMovieDB to go to IMDB which would then be replaced by IMDB+ or am I better off to just wait for the updated version you mentioned?

Thanks again.

Those movies most likely got imported with TheMovieDb scraper, but we are working on allowing you to 'Force IMDb+' on any existing entry that was added by a scraper that also added a valid IMDb tt-ID to your database. Because it is guaranteed that the default IMDb scraper does this, we simply scan the database for the scraper script ID and swap it with the IMDb+ one, but now we have to modify that to look for valid tt1234567 entries.

That might still leave a few movies assigned to an alternative scraper, such as TheMovieDb, because they have some movies in their system that do not exist at the IMDb website. For example I have a few of the Ghost Rider bike movies in my collection and they do not exist at IMDb, but they do have an entry at TheMovieDb, such as:

Ghost Rider #1 - The Final Ride

(PS: If you ever thought you have driven fast from point A to B, I highly suggest watching that movie, or the original Paris race that started the phenomena. Both are available on YouTube to some extend).

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Great plugin! I' doing some tests and found some "problems". First, I'm on German settings, and many morvies still have ofdb.de as primary source in MP and also an imdb id. Is it possible to replace the ofdb.de scraper also in the options with imdb?

I'm getting awesome help to add a new option to the plugin that will "Force IMDb+..." on more then juse the default IMDb scraper. Plan was to first add only TheMovieDb as forceable option, but will look into possability of a universal system that supports any scraper-script that put a valid IMDb tt-ID into the database.

Second, I set the scraper to get the full info of imdb.de. Unfortunately the imdb.de info is shortened on the main page.

Yes, as mentioned in the description, only the short summary on the main details page is currently supported. This scraper already does a massive amount of fetching HTML pages and is therefore very large in scraper-script code (almost 5x laster then default IMDb scraper right now), so I did not add in yet that the foreign scrapers can obtain the 'long' summary from that plotsummary page. But it is on the ToDo list :)

As for OFDb.de support, I was impressed with that Merlyn did with the FilmInfo+ scraper that he made after seeing this one. So I figured I would add basic German support from imdb.de as it was only a few lines extra, but it would be no problem to also add "German (OFDb.de)" support or perhaps just combine it into the current imdb.de support.

I'll add it to my ToDo list, but you might want to also have a look at the FilmInfo+ scraper on the forum, it is maintained by somebody who actually knows German, so the results should be much more to your liking. In the meantime, I'll add OFDb.de support on the ToDo list, but it will go to the bottom.

However I prefer to have swedish titles for movies when available (for english movies as well). Mostly for all my kid movies.

I am working on 'proper' support for foreign titles, however you can trick the current system to some degree.

• Original Title = OFF
    • Country Filter = Add Sweden to the list, so "us|ca|gb|ie|au|nz|se"
    • Language Filter = Add Swedish to the list, so "en|sv"

NOTE: The virtual keyboard doesn't support |, so it will show '.' (dots)

This should in theory give you Swedish titles when imdb.com has a Swedish title available. It only works for when imdb.com shows you the title in your language when you go to imdb.com.

For example if I visit: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009), I get:

• Title = The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)
    • Original Title = Män som hatar kvinnor (original title)

But you looking at the exact same page from Sweden are probably getting:

• Title = Män som hatar kvinnor (2009)

If that is the case, then accepting 'sv' as language and 'se' as country, will make my scraper accept that title as if it was an English one. It will then still "translate" other foreign movies into English, such as the Dutch movie "Zwartboek".

And hopefully I'll get proper support working, which will rely on the localized title from the Filmtipset.se site for proper Swedish titles.

Black Glass Nova skin file updated :)

Awesome, please get me a few screenshots, so I can update Wiki. Preferably one of the main screen that shows different options then the current DefaultWide, aMPed and StreamedMP screenshots do.

Great, glad to hear something is in the works, is there any other workaround to force the movies that scraped with TheMovieDB to go to IMDB which would then be replaced by IMDB+ or am I better off to just wait for the updated version you mentioned?

The only option right now would be to manually do via fancy SQL queries what the plugin is going to do for you soon, or to simply delete all your existing movies (use the same method as you would to mass-refresh in config, but use the 'X' to delete instead of icon to refresh), and then you go to the import tab and use the gear icon to unignore all the movies you just deleted. But this method will remove any watched flag (unless you are using Follw.it or Trakt) and the date-added info will be gone.

So yes, wait :D

I got a feeling before the end of the month, if not sooner.

dietbutcher

Portal Member
    February 4, 2007
    Hi Rochess,

It looks like the issue is not that the movies are imported using themoviedb, but that Moving Pictures seems to prefer IMDB over IMDB+ for about 60% of the Films.

To take an example I noticed Dirty Harry was labeled IMDB - Dirty Harry with the source of imdb.com. I ran a refresh on it and it came back with imdb.com again. If I manually choose IMDB+ (the second option as shown in the screenshot), then it works as expected but trying to do it manually for all 1300+ movies not picked up by IMDB+ isn't feasible.

In Sources, IMDB+ does show up First

Any other ideas based on this information? Should I just disable IMDB all together and then rescan the entire collection from the backend?

Thanks again.

The only option right now would be to manually do via fancy SQL queries what the plugin is going to do for you soon, or to simply delete all your existing movies (use the same method as you would to mass-refresh in config, but use the 'X' to delete instead of icon to refresh), and then you go to the import tab and use the gear icon to unignore all the movies you just deleted. But this method will remove any watched flag (unless you are using Follw.it or Trakt) and the date-added info will be gone.

So yes, wait :D

I got a feeling before the end of the month, if not sooner.

Attachments

• Dirty Harry.jpg
      Dirty Harry.jpg
      101.2 KB

dietbutcher

Portal Member
    February 4, 2007

Hi Rochess,

I wanted to show you a couple of screenshots with a bigger scope showing that IMDB+ is preferred in scraper source but after I delete movies and re-import as suggested, it still shows IMDB as the preferred auto match.

Attachments

• IMDB Source.jpg
      IMDB Source.jpg
      63.1 KB
    • IMDB Preferred.jpg
      IMDB Preferred.jpg
      209.5 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Hi Rochess,

I wanted to show you a couple of screenshots with a bigger scope showing that IMDB+ is preferred in scraper source but after I delete movies and re-import as suggested, it still shows IMDB as the preferred auto match.

Scratching my head on that one.

Can you open MovPic config, goto "About" -> "Advanced Settings"

Tell me the settings you have under "Movie Importer" -> "Matching and Importing" for:

• Only Auto Approve from Primary Data Source
    • Minimum Possible Match Threshold
    • Data Provider Request Limit

I've done many tests with imdb.com default scraper below IMDb+ and it never got used. In worst case there would be no movie found at imdb.com, but then it would also skip the default scraper and go for TheMovieDb one.

You could indeed disable imdb.com default scraper and start over, but I like to get to the source of the problem as well, so help me figure it out please :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom