Foreign Titles - Help requested (1 Viewer)

pavke

Portal Member
March 11, 2005
Leuven, Belgium
Hi all. I am trying to accomplish something I think is 'natural' to a 'foreigner', namely to get movie summaries in my native language (dutch that is) - and this proved to be no problem. I however prefer my movie titles in english EXCEPT (!) if the movie originates from a few countries whose languages I understand or even speak, e.g. France, Germany, etc. Then I would like to keep the original (thus 'foreign') title ...

I have been trying all sorts of combinations of the various settings pertaining to foreign and original titles, to no avail - and yet I believe there must be a combination to accomplish this.

On a sidemark : I have noticed that some of these combinations even break the 'article removal' feature, which I would dare to call a bug ...

Anyone ?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The normal setting would be to configure IMDb+ to use secondary language "Dutch" and then use the sub-option "Seconday English title" to enable Dutch summaries with English titles. You should then still be able to use the "Add the foreign title" option possibly in combination with the "Start the title with the foreign one first" depending on your preference of "English title (Foreign title)" or "Foreign title (English title)".

And yes, the article removal feature is sometimes broken depending on the combination of settings, or for example when the movie-series rename system kicks in. I'm working on adding my own article removal system into IMDb+ as part of the full rewrite to fix that issue, for now you will have to use the custom rename system to do it manually. It's a cross-combination bug that requires adjustment to Moving-Pictures plugin to fix it, which is why it has been left alone for now.

Let me know if you're able to get the results you are after.

pavke

Portal Member
    March 11, 2005
    Leuven, Belgium
    I had tried the "Foreign title (English title)" (or vice versa) possibilities before, and they (sort of) work, but that's not what I'm after.
    I want just one title : English for most of them (as obviously most of them ARE 'english'), but 'foreign' (meaning 'original') for those with Belgian, French, ... origins. And that combined with 'foreign' (in my case : dutch) info/summaries, etc - for ALL movies.

As I understand it, this is what you suggest being perfectly possible with the very last option in the options-screen (where you give the example with the nordic movies, using the 'en|no' syntax). Sorry to say, but this does not work at all ... or at least, when I used something like 'en|nl|fr|de', it did nothing useful for me ...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The scraper-script is pretty complex, so I'll try to explain it as best as I can. When you go to a movie details page via the AKAS domain, ie: http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0389557 then that is the titles IMDb+ uses. It detects "Zwartboek" as the title and assumes it is English, but then it looks at the country + language info to find out if it is infact an English movie title.

In "Zwartboek" case, that leads to:

Language: Dutch | German | English | Hebrew​

This does then not match the 'us|ca|gb|ie|au|nz' codes for countries where they produce English movies (if you hover over the links you will see the 2-char codes used by IMDb) or the 'en' language part. Then IMDb+ knows to look at the AKA titles page @ http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/releaseinfo#akas and tries to look for the "USA" titles or "International (English Title)", etc.

At that point it knows "Zwartboek" is the 'original title' and "Black Book" is the 'English title', which is what you can then use as "Zwartboek", "Black Book", "Zwartboek (Black Book)" or "Black Book (Zwartboek)" result via the respective IMDb+ options.

You are right in that this then indeed works for *ALL* foreign languages and you only want to make it work so that all non-Dutch movies are English titles and Zwartboek is simply "Zwartboek". As you discovered, for that to happen you have to fool the IMDb+ scraper into thinking that "NL" country and "NL" language are infact English movie titles as well, so by adding "|nl" to the end of both advanced options it should fool IMDb+ into accepting "Zwartboek" as English title and move on (or so goes the theory).

The problem is that to make the additional languages work for summary in some cases I have to use the http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557 page to get certain info. This then in turn breaks the IMDb+ ability to properly detect a Dutch title as English with the normal method, because IMDb took it upon themselve to already display different titles. I thought I had solved that with additional code, but it would not supprise me if IMDb took additional steps to show you as a Dutch user "Zwartboek" as title there, whereas for me as a user in USA I get "Blackbook" + "(original title: Zwartboek)" as a result.

So if you can make me screenshots on all those 3 IMDb links I just provided the way they show for you on a Dutch IP, as well as the HTML source code pasted for all 3 individually to a site such as http://www.paste2.org (or attach all 6 files to this thread), then I can work on a solution later.

Thank you.

Gertt

Portal Member
    October 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

Attachments

• 1 - AKAS DOMAIN - DEFAUT.png
      1 - AKAS DOMAIN - DEFAUT.png
      431.1 KB
    • 2 - AKAS DOMAIN - AKA.png
      2 - AKAS DOMAIN - AKA.png
      60 KB
    • 3 - DEFAULT DOMAIN.png
      3 - DEFAULT DOMAIN.png
      376.4 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I'm trying to achieve exactly the same and running into the same problem.

Did you add 'BE' to the advanced setting on country filters in your IMDb+ settings? You forgot to include your IMDb+ settings file, so I'm not entirely sure what end-result you are after.

Adding country+language to the advanced settings allows a foreign title to be accepted as an English one and used as-is.

The other options are:
    1. English Title
    2. Original Title
    3. English title (Original title)
    4. Original title (English title)
    I can deduce that from your IMDb+ settings XML file, but it also helps if you actually explain what you expect the result to be.

Gertt

Portal Member
    October 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I just noticed pavke is from Belgium too (we speak Dutch here) and I'm just trying to accomplish the exact same thing he was explaining to you. (Probably should've made this more clear.) That's why I thought maybe I could help you solve our problem faster by posting those screens and source code, since he hasn't replied yet.

I currently don't have access to my settings file, but I checked the boxes to not display original title (so always English) and no added title between brackets. So your "1. English" option.
    Then I added 'nl|be|fr' to the second filter entry. (Language filter I think, the one that just has 'en' to start with.)

EDIT: I was just carefully rereading and noticed you said it had to be entered into both filters, so ran back downstairs and fired up the HTPC again. I never really got the explanation for the first (country filter) and always thought it was meant to do the opposite. Anyway, I entered it into both filters and that seems to solve the problem. I'm sorry for bothering you.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Then I added 'nl|be|fr' to the second filter entry. (Language filter I think, the one that just has 'en' to start with.)

The advanced settings are *ONLY* meant for accepting non-English titles as if they were English (both country+language is needed).

This allows a Dutch person to use "Zwartboek" versus "Black Book", but that "Ging chat goo si" is still translated into "Police Story".

If you want English titles all the time, then simply do not touch those two settings.

This should have been made clear in the Dutch description translation of the setting, so will have to verify it does.

Gertt

Portal Member
    October 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    It was my goal to have English titles forced for everything except movies where the original title was in Dutch (just like pavke) so I managed to achieve that. (Well to be precise I eventually want only Asian movies to be forced to the English title and keep originals for the rest, so I'll keep on adding to the filter as I add more foreign non-Asian movies to my collection.)

Anyway, I set my MP to English so I wouldn't know if it's made clear in the dutch translation. It's just the explanation of the country filter that was confusing to me.

COUNTRY FILTER

There are some English language based movies that have a foreign title. So to aid in the proper detection of English titles it was needed to also filter on the country in which the movie was produced.

Default countries that do not use foreign titles are: 'us.ca.gb.ie.au.nz' (United States, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand)

Note: The MediaPortal virtual keyboard does not support the '|' character, so a '.' was used instead to seperate the different languages. Be very careful in adjusting this setting as it can stop the function of the IMDb+ scraper.

LANGUAGE FILTER
    Special filter to include other language titles besides English (en). Use the imdb.com HTML source to find the ISO 639-1 code after /language/.

Default language is English via: 'en'

However if you are from Norway and you wish to have Norwegian movies use their original title and English titles for everything else, then use: 'en.no'

Note: The MediaPortal virtual keyboard does not support the '|' character, so a '.' was used instead to seperate the different languages. Be very careful in adjusting this setting as it can stop the function of the IMDb+ scraper.

To me personally, this doesn't in any way suggest I have to fill in the Country filter to achieve the effect that is explained with the language filter. That might just be me, but maybe it would be a good idea to somehow make it more clear that these two are meant for the same purpose and need to be both filled in to achieve the effect?

Thanks for your help. And thanks for your work on this plugin/scraper, it's really awesome and one of the reasons I gave up on my XBMC adventure and switched back to MP!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    To me personally, this doesn't in any way suggest I have to fill in the Country filter to achieve the effect that is explained with the language filter. That might just be me, but maybe it would be a good idea to somehow make it more clear that these two are meant for the same purpose and need to be both filled in to achieve the effect?

Thanks for your help. And thanks for your work on this plugin/scraper, it's really awesome and one of the reasons I gave up on my XBMC adventure and switched back to MP!

Looks like I was mistaken in thinking the new language edits were already in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom