Formatting of song titles etc before importing / updating database (1 Viewer)

DreamMaster

Portal Member
June 9, 2009
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
TV-Server Version: 1.0.2.0
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: BleazleWide V7
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type: P4 2.4 ghz
HDD: WDC 120 and 250
Memory: 2 gig
Motherboard: MSI 865pe neo 2
Video Card: ATI Hercules 9800 pro
Video Card Driver: 9.3
Sound Card: On Board C-Media
Sound Card AC3: spdif
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR150
1. TV Card Type: analog
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC Gabest
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: DSTV
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply: 450 Watt
Remote: MCE
TV: Panasonic Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI - HDMI

i just have a few questions about updating the music database from a directory because i imported a whole lot of music files and i can't find some of them in Mediaportal or they get cataloged under "-" "[" - i am assuming this is because of the naming convention of the filenames?

is there a specific format that the music filenames are supposed to be in for them to be cataloged correctly?
When importing/updating database, Does mediaportal use the format of the filename or does it look at the tags and use those to catalog?
is there a program that i can use that will help me to help fix the tags and naming conventions of the files before i try and import?

one other thing ...

putting files in a directory structure like below, will this affect the import? i would like the music collection in mediaportal to be split up into:
Albums (and be able to drill down into the Albums)
LiveSets (and be able to drill down into the LiveSets)

-Albums
-Depeche Mode
-Playing the Angel
-<multiple files>
-DJ Tiesto
-Just Be
-<multiple files>
-LiveSets
-DJ Tiesto
-<multiple files>

is this possible?

thanks

neilk

Portal Pro
June 22, 2007
Home Country
Hi there,

Please have a look at MPtagthat utility in theforums, this helps you to tag the music correctly. https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/Utilities/MPTagThat-TheMediaPortalTagEditor/

It does not matter how you store your albums in sub folders etc when using database view (albums, songs, artists, genres). This is only applicable when you use share view (which will give you a direct view of how you stored your music)

Personally I use the "genre" database view, in MP Configuration/music/views, you can specify how you would like to view the database. I have set it to start with genre, then album, then track.

For the live dj sets I have the genre tagged in all the files as "DJ Sets", so this will display a different "category" for the live sets.

Hope this helps

Neil

DreamMaster

Portal Member
June 9, 2009
Home Country
Hi Neil,

Please have a look at MPtagthat utility in theforums, this helps you to tag the music correctly.

Great, will take a look!
This app is great!!!

This is only applicable when you use share view (which will give you a direct view of how you stored your music)

The share view sounds perfect if you know what you are looking for and know where to find it and you want to play it now! how do i get the share view? i only have Artists, Album Artists, Albums, Genres, Years, Songs, top 100, favourites, recently added and if i try and create a new view i can't find share anywhere?

i understand now! the share view is inside MPTagThat :). i thought you meant there was a share view in mediaportal :).

For the live dj sets I have the genre tagged in all the files as "DJ Sets", so this will display a different "category" for the live sets.

This i will definately use!

Thanks for all the help

neilk

Portal Pro
June 22, 2007
Home Country
Hi DM

Glad I could asssist

This is only applicable when you use share view (which will give you a direct view of how you stored your music)

The share view sounds perfect if you know what you are looking for and know where to find it and you want to play it now! how do i get the share view? i only have Artists, Album Artists, Albums, Genres, Years, Songs, top 100, favourites, recently added and if i try and create a new view i can't find share anywhere?

i understand now! the share view is inside MPTagThat :). i thought you meant there was a share view in mediaportal :).

The share view I was talking about is in the MediaPortal appliction/music itself, not configuration or MPTagthat. In the music section, menu on left, select "switch view", the 1st option you get is "shares view", this will display exactly as you saved them with your current folder structure.

Another nice thing about MPTagthat, if you specify a "DJ Sets" genre, in the album artist field you can specify who mixed the set, eg. Armin van Buuren. Then when you are in MP Music, and you "switch view", select "album artists", then you can select Armin van buurn to see all his music, albums and mixed sets...:)

Cheers an enjoy MP

Cheers

Neil

DreamMaster

Portal Member
June 9, 2009
Home Country
Hi Neil,

hey, i found the Share View option in MP! i hadn't looked in the Mediaportal Application itself, i was looking in the Mediaportal Configuration where you set up the views and couldn't find it there :).
i like the idea about using the Genre tag and "Album Artist" tags the way you have because you can then then still group them by live set and by artist! Thanks for that!
i see you mentioned Armin Van Buuren ... was this because he played live in JHB on Saturday night? i wish i could have gone but i was as sick as a dog!!! My wife wanted to go, so i don't think she is going to forgive me very soon!?!

cheers

neilk

Portal Pro
June 22, 2007
Home Country
Yes, I went to see nr1 on Saturday, it was a great event.

You surely missed out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom