Foxtel (AUS) Streaming Client <=> Server (1 Viewer)

Karl_der_Kef

July 6, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi folks,

As I am going to move to Australia within the next few weeks, I am considering the most comfortable TV solution for our new home. So I came upon Mediaportal, which I (successfully) tried before here in Germany, but only as a single-PC-installation.
The new home shall be equipped as followes:
- Video-, File-, TV-streaming - server (Win XP or 7) with MP-server
- Clients: Win XP or 7 with MP-client
- TV 2 b received via satellite (Foxtel, Optus C1 (?))

Now my questions:

- what kind of receivercard will I need? DVB-S or DVB-S2?
- If DVB-S2, will I be able to use the old CI-module of my old TT-DBV-S card (full featured)?
- What kind of CAM-module will I need? I think, I read sth about a "Giga Twin Cam blue" module. Will that work with my DVB-card?
Btw, just 2 make sure no one gets me wrong: I am not going to use hacked Foxtel, I will sign up the normal way, but I don´t want to use the supplied receivers...
- Will I need 2 CI-modules to be able to watch different channels at a time within the network with only one module?

That´s all for now. Thank a lot in advance!

Cheers

Charlie

MadMagpie

Portal Pro
April 17, 2007
Home Country
Hi folks,

As I am going to move to Australia within the next few weeks, I am considering the most comfortable TV solution for our new home. So I came upon Mediaportal, which I (successfully) tried before here in Germany, but only as a single-PC-installation.
The new home shall be equipped as followes:
- Video-, File-, TV-streaming - server (Win XP or 7) with MP-server
- Clients: Win XP or 7 with MP-client
- TV 2 b received via satellite (Foxtel, Optus C1 (?))

Now my questions:

- what kind of receivercard will I need? DVB-S or DVB-S2?
- If DVB-S2, will I be able to use the old CI-module of my old TT-DBV-S card (full featured)?
- What kind of CAM-module will I need? I think, I read sth about a "Giga Twin Cam blue" module. Will that work with my DVB-card?
Btw, just 2 make sure no one gets me wrong: I am not going to use hacked Foxtel, I will sign up the normal way, but I don´t want to use the supplied receivers...
- Will I need 2 CI-modules to be able to watch different channels at a time within the network with only one module?

That´s all for now. Thank a lot in advance!

Cheers

Charlie

G'day and welcome to Aus :)
Unfortunately you can't use DVB-S cards with Foxtel as far I know, you have to use the provided STB, we also have Austar that carries the Foxtel channels outside of metropolitan areas and they are the same, the only way to use them with a DVB-S is to use a hacked card but they had a crackdown on them about a year ago and they are very rare and hard to find.
I use their STB, Svideo and a ir blaster, it's not ideal but it's my only choice :(

Karl_der_Kef

July 6, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Unfortunately you can't use DVB-S cards with Foxtel as far I know, you have to use the provided STB, we also have Austar that carries the Foxtel channels outside of metropolitan areas and they are the same, the only way to use them with a DVB-S is to use a hacked card but they had a crackdown on them about a year ago and they are very rare and hard to find.
I use their STB, Svideo and a ir blaster, it's not ideal but it's my only choice :(

Thx for your reply! Hmm, that doesn´t sound very encouraging...:(
But I think I read sth like your answer before, just wanted to make sure. But I also think I read "somewhere" (if not in this forum...) sth like "use a Giga Twin Cam blue module" (for whatever reason, dunno what makes this module such special). As far as i know, Foxtel uses the NDS videoguard protection system, which is known 2 b hard 2 handle with "other than provided" receivers. But there must be some kinda workaround...
OK, whatever...
Silly question: what about freeTV in AUS? Couldn´t find out a lot about it yet, concentrated on Foxtel.
Next question is (other, but related topic), are there recommendations concerning a reliable ISP? The last I heard is, that in our desired living area most DSL exchanges are crammed to the limit, so it might seem 2 b hard to get even a proper line. Is it true, that most of the exchanges are still owned and operated by Telstra? Maybe I should try to signup for cable?

OK, thanks for now, I´ll be back...

Cheers

Charlie

MadMagpie

Portal Pro
April 17, 2007
Home Country

Thx for your reply! Hmm, that doesn´t sound very encouraging...:(
But I think I read sth like your answer before, just wanted to make sure. But I also think I read "somewhere" (if not in this forum...) sth like "use a Giga Twin Cam blue module" (for whatever reason, dunno what makes this module such special). As far as i know, Foxtel uses the NDS videoguard protection system, which is known 2 b hard 2 handle with "other than provided" receivers. But there must be some kinda workaround...
OK, whatever...
Silly question: what about freeTV in AUS? Couldn´t find out a lot about it yet, concentrated on Foxtel.
Next question is (other, but related topic), are there recommendations concerning a reliable ISP? The last I heard is, that in our desired living area most DSL exchanges are crammed to the limit, so it might seem 2 b hard to get even a proper line. Is it true, that most of the exchanges are still owned and operated by Telstra? Maybe I should try to signup for cable?

OK, thanks for now, I´ll be back...

Cheers

Charlie

Foxtel and Austar use Irdeto 2 Videoguard system, I haven't heard of the Giga Twin Cam, I'll have to do some digging around now :) I have a Twinhan 1034 Ci and a IRDETO 2.26D CAM that are useless to me now :(
FreeTV has all switched to digital, mpeg2, there is talk of freeview, mpeg4, but nothing concrete yet. the analogue TV is in the process of being switched off, I think they throw the switch in 2012. I think all stations have multiple channels, some SD and some HD, EPG's are broadcast over the air with TV but online or printed EPG's are copyright so you have to pay for your EPG or find a work around (search here for Guide digger).
I'm don't know much about DSL exchanges, adsl and adsl2 you can get in most urban areas, the government are in the process of rolling out the "national broadband network" which will eventually see fibre optic to the door of every home in Aus, will have to see how that works out, all ISP's have quotas with download limits, I'm on a pretty good one with 100gig a month and restricted to slower speeds when I go over it.
hope that helps.
MM

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom