Freeview over satellite, which card? (1 Viewer)

stryker

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently stopped my subscription with $ky. Mostly because I'm tired of the monopoly and then their stiffing of virgin was the last straw.

I've been told I can still receive the freeview channels over the sky box with NO card!

So now I wonder, is there a specific capture card I can buy and hook up to my satellite dish? pref a dual tuner?

I've looked through the forum but cannot find a def 100% answer.

Any ideas anyone?

trevor

Portal Pro
October 17, 2006
Chelmsford
Home Country
Free Channels

Couple of options, Hauppauge PVR 150 (single) or 500 (Dual) cards and feed in the output from the current sky box or a TechnoTrend S2-3200 card (the one I have and I know works) or both...

I still have a sky subscription but do feel much the same as you..but have kept the sky sub as I have not real choice currently.

With no sky card at all you can get you can get a fair few channels check here

http://www.heyrick.co.uk/ricksworld/digibox/skyftalist.html

,All the major ones bar C4 and Five, for them you need to pay sky a one off £20 fee for a freesat card...another rip off, but heard something about C4 and Five maybe removing this restriction soon.

I replaced my single LNB with a quad and got the card and couple of extra sky boxes (I am stick with sat and can not get a decent free view over std aerial where I am) and currently take 3 feeds from it, gives me nost of what need and I also get BBC HD.

Hope that helps

Trevor

stryker

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
Yes, my plan was to get rid of the sky box and use an appropriate card with the sat dish to receive freeview. Sounds like that is not going to work if sky encrypt c4 and five.

So, is there a card that will receive the terestial freeview channels in the UK? pref a dual receiver?

In the mean time I'll take a look at the other options, thanks for the help.

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Hopefully on my bike.
Home Country
I recently moved into rented accomodation where the landlord won't let us put a sky dish up. After a couple of months I don't even miss it. Certainly don't miss shelling out £40 per month! Most series that we were watching on Sky One are readilly available on torrent anyway.

But to satisfy recording of TV, I got a Hauppage Nova-T USB. £20 off ebay. Very impressed by it. There is next to no delay on changing of channel and is rock solid for stability. So far the tv engine (not server) hasn't let me down.

Before that I had a PVR150 hooked up to the s-video of the $ky+ box for archiving. Worked well apart from the widescreen recordings still come in at 720x576. OK I can stretch it but explain that to my wife when she's flicking around the kids' archived tv recordings. :rolleyes:

stryker

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
I've decided to do this in stages. To aid this I'm going to set up a MP TVServer in my spare (computer room), in that for now I'm putting a nice haupauge dual dvb-t card.

My plan is at a later date is to hook up my sky dish to a dvb-s card and point it at a sat with free channels... there seems to be a few of them over europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom