From FX5200 to 7600GT or GS (1 Viewer)

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
You say that there is no difference but I can see one major the "inverse telecine" and "bad edit correction" for HD resolutions, these two things can give you smooth video instead of stuttering one... so perhaps think about :) (If you plan to play HD with your HTPC), else the 7600GS will fit great :)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    before you sped any money, have tyou tried experimenting with different codecs? These play a big part on the picture quality. If you are already using DVI then the codecs will probably be the culprit.

Are you using codecs with hardware DX9, since your gfx card supports that? what about exclusive Dx mode option?

System specs would help us point you in a better direction. If all the free stuff fails, then you can buy a better Gfx card.

My HTPC feeds a Plasma via VGA and the picture is perfect. My gfx is via the onboard GF400 on my nforce 2 motherboard.
    I use the nvidia purevideo codecs and they are great.

Flerbizky

Portal Pro
    July 18, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    You say that there is no difference but I can see one major the "inverse telecine" and "bad edit correction" for HD resolutions, these two things can give you smooth video instead of stuttering one... so perhaps think about :) (If you plan to play HD with your HTPC), else the 7600GS will fit great :)

I thought so at first, but notice he's stuck in his AGP port - And the AGP versions of the GT and GS features neither Inverse Telecine nor Bad Edit Correction..

So I was just as wrong on this one...

So the answer is no, apart from the help gained by the higher clock of the GT when decoding HD material, there should be no difference in picture quality. I'd still go for the GT though, as the last 256 megs of memory won't be put to use anyway... The 512Mb GS is actually a stupid card - If you have a game using such high quality textures that it needs 512 megs, it won't have the grunt to run it the resolutions required for the changes to show anyway...

Stupid by Design IMHO,

Cheers,
    Steff

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom