Future MP user (1 Viewer)

Salle

Portal Member
December 7, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,

I'm new to the htpc world and been gathering information alot the last week. My hfx mini arrives next week and I want to be prepared. :) I've decided to go with MP, no need to motivate why to you guys. :D

I have a few questions that I couldn't find the answer to in the forums, hope you can help out..

1. I will use floppy dvbc for the digital channels, but I have also analog channels (I have comhem sweden) that I want to record from. Can I use an analog tv-card too? I was thinking about hauppage 150mce since many seem to like that card with mp.

2. Which codec/codecs are most stable? I want to do a basic working install and then experiment with ffdshow postprocessing later...

Thanks in advance

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Someone had MP running with 7 working tvcards once. So I don't see Why two wouldn't work. I have no experience with digital signals, but I don't think that will make a difference.

I use the nVidia Purevideo codec, which is hardware-supported by my 6200 - 256MB. This gives me fine image quality. But the internal codec is pretty good to.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    1. I will use floppy dvbc for the digital channels, but I have also analog channels (I have comhem sweden) that I want to record from. Can I use an analog tv-card too? I was thinking about hauppage 150mce since many seem to like that card with mp.
    that will work :)

2. Which codec/codecs are most stable?
    mpeg2 codecs are included in MediaPortal release -> MPV/MPA from gabest.

Salle

Portal Member
    December 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Great, thanks guys!

What about audio codec, any tips there or are they also included?

Salle

Portal Member
    December 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Another question popped up, sorry for beeing a pain... :) This is probably the most important one for me....

I use a SDTV 32"w crt PAL 720x576, how do I set up the resolution for best quality in windows/media portal? I don't want any quality reduction or that the picture don't fit the screen. I often see ntsc dvd so too so I want an easy shift to 720x480.

I read this post, but I'm not sure if it applies to my hardware since I'm almost positive I only have a rgb scart connection and not s-video.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=8861

Is this the best way to get optimal image quality/size on a SDTV?

Since I haven't recieved my htpc it's a little hard for me too give you exact spec. I will be using the codecs recommended above for starters.

CPU: Core 2 duo
    Motherboard: Intel 945GT Express / Intel ICH7M-DH
    Grafics: Intel GMA 950 (directx 9c)

Sorry for all the questions but if I don't get this expensive equipment working right away my TV-holic gf will do something nasty to me. :D

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i am using a CRT panasonic 16:9 80cm
    codecs: MPV/MPA
    GForce6600GT - s-video out
    resolution: 800x600

no difference between STB or HTPC is visible when wathcing TV/DVD/Videos :)

Salle

Portal Member
    December 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok, thanks! I was a little worried there, it seemed very tricky to get it right. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom