fuzzy recording (1 Viewer)

TritonT

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The whole Series Record thing is very easy to do if MediaPortal stored and used the <episode-num system="xmltv_ns"> field contained within a standard xmltv file.

This field contains the episode number, part number and sometimes series number. Now when the EPG updates, MediaPortal checks for episodes it is missing and sets the recordings. It could even use logic, choosing to record repeat airings of shows to avoid conflicts with manually set recordings!

At the minute I would settle for the TV Guide just showing me the episode number if it was available in the xmltv.

BUT, none of this works for people using dvbEPG or WebEPG, or even those who use xmltv that either incomplete or non-standard. It is however a good way of doing things if the xmltv is OK.

alpax

Portal Member
September 1, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
I believe the series recording can be partially fixed by a proper implementation of the timed recording - MP should not just blindly record at the specified time, but should check the EPG first. I'm not sure about other countries, but I noticed that here in Canada we usually don't have repeats aired at the same time as the original episodes. For example, a regular episode is aired on a specific channel at 8pm on Sundays. If there are repeats, they show on another channel and/or another day/time. So if I select "Record Season (this weekly timeslot, this channel)" in GBPVR, it will record the show only at that time on that day and that channel, and only if it is on. If there is no episode this week, GBPVR gets this info from EPG and does not record anything. Of course it does not record repeats either, as they are just not in that timeslot/channel.
This works fine for most of the shows I record.

alpax

Portal Member
September 1, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Any updates on this "issue" ?
I haven't tried it myself (still using GBPVR for TV), but heard it's fixed now:

Actually, "fuzzy recording" has been in TV Server for a while now.

MP will now detect changes in the guide and record a program exactly when it is on, so if it's on from 8:50 to 9:50 instead of 9:00 to 10:00 it will record just fine at 8:50.
Can someone confirm this please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom