gapless playback (1 Viewer)

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,
Nice, don't have much time to test things now, guess hw can look @ see if it's possible to make this gapless, gapless.
Tried to set fadin to 0ms & it's better but misses a fraction of a beat ;)

Regards
Roy

What I also found on testing it that you also have the gaps when simply playing an audio CD.
That is really annoying and is really a pain for audiophile ears if you are listening to a cd
which has no gaps at all like clubmixes or live albums.

grubi.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Grubi,

i fully understand your problem.
    Yes it is relativeley easy to fix, since i've introduced the mixing support a while back.

i may be able to reduce the gap a bit more, but due to the player architecture we currently have, i might not suceed completely.
    since the Bass audio engine is invoked by the playlist player, which invokes the next song only after the first has ended. so i most probably need to play with some sort of Crossfading to reach some sort of gapless playback.

The biggest problem however is that we're in a feature freeze currently, so that we can release 0.2.3.
    The changes would be a bit too dramatical and could break other things, which i simply don't want to.

So after the freeze is over, i'll have a look into that.
    Promised.

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Grubi,

i fully understand your problem.
    Yes it is relativeley easy to fix, since i've introduced the mixing support a while back.

i may be able to reduce the gap a bit more, but due to the player architecture we currently have, i might not suceed completely.
    since the Bass audio engine is invoked by the playlist player, which invokes the next song only after the first has ended. so i most probably need to play with some sort of Crossfading to reach some sort of gapless playback.

The biggest problem however is that we're in a feature freeze currently, so that we can release 0.2.3.
    The changes would be a bit too dramatical and could break other things, which i simply don't want to.

So after the freeze is over, i'll have a look into that.
    Promised.

Hi hwahrmann,

I think a feature freeze is a good thing to get 0.2.3 to the level of reliability it needs for a stable release. Esp. in the
    recent past we saw that new features were breaking existing code.

The amount of changes necessary also prevent me from giving it a try at the moment (the effect on exisiting code is more complex as it seems in the first moment).

From what I have seen so far gapless should be possible with the current architecture as it is possible to crossfade two songs at the moment without a gap. I have taken a deeper look at the Play method however I still did not find where and when it is triggered exactly. I would assume this happens by a callback of the BASS engine when the end of the currently running track is reached (nearly reached?). What is necessary for gapless is to use the BASS_Mixer interface which I saw is already used at least when upmixing or ASIO is involved. Important is to use the BASS_MIXER_NORAMPIN flag on the BASS_Mixer_StreamAddChannel call which was introduced exactly for the gapless issue. Following is a code snipped which is from the BASS devs for achieving gapless playback. I have not checked it, however I will do so from within a test app and see if it leads to really gapless playback.

Regards,
    grubi.

mixer=BASS_Mixer_StreamCreate(44100, 2, BASS_MIXER_END); // create mixer
    BASS_ChannelSetSync(mixer, BASS_SYNC_END|BASS_SYNC_MIXTIME, 0, EndSync, 0); // set sync for end

source=BASS_StreamCreateFile(...,BASS_STREAM_DECODE|BASS_SAMPLE_FLOAT); // open 1st source
    BASS_Mixer_StreamAddChannel(mixer, source, BASS_STREAM_AUTOFREE); // plug it in (and auto-free it when it ends)

BASS_ChannelPlay(mixer, FALSE); // start playing

void CALLBACK EndSync(HSYNC handle, DWORD channel, DWORD data, DWORD user)
    {
    if (!more_sources) return;
    source=BASS_StreamCreateFile(...,BASS_STREAM_DECODE|BASS_SAMPLE_FLOAT); // open next source
    BASS_Mixer_StreamAddChannel(mixer, source, BASS_STREAM_AUTOFREE|BASS_MIXER_NORAMPIN); // plug it in
    BASS_ChannelSetPosition(mixer, 0); // reset the mixer
    }

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom