Codecs Getting 5DD 5.1 playback (1 Viewer)

korg1599

Portal Member
September 15, 2011
So I'm trying to get my movies I'm encoding myself to playback properly in 5.1. So what happens with most movies is they play back and sound fine, except my receiver doesn't auto switch to Dolby Digital/DTS mode. It sounds more like stereo coming out of multiple speakers. I have got a couple videos that actually switch to DD/DTS mode correctly and sound way better, but I'm not sure of how I did it way back when. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong/how to do it correctly with hand brake? Using Gspot I can show you info of a video that plays correctly and a video that does not...

Bruno has the correct audio playing... Sucker Punch does not...

Thanks for all help!

Attachments

• Movies.jpg
    Movies.jpg
    190.9 KB

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Getting 5DD 5.1 playback

Hi.
    At first you should fill out and show your sysspecs. (See forum rules). There nobody out there to guess what hard- and software is in use!
    I use in eg the ac3filter with passtrough settings as audio device for MP and it works how it should be. Normal sound as PCM and surround DTS/DD as well when I play movies.
    My Receiver recognise the correct signal and all is fine.

korg1599

Portal Member
    September 15, 2011
    I'll fill it out, but my question involves which encoding process. Since some files already work I just dont know which codecs to code them in is what I'm trying to find out.

korg1599

Portal Member
    September 15, 2011
    Awesome! That app helped me figure out my problem. Stupid me. I was encoding movies with 2 audio streams and they are defaulting to stereo. Now that I know what the problem is. How can I make media portal default to the 6 channel instead of stereo?

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Getting 5DD 5.1 playback

With MP ... No way! When it is an mkv you can edit the fileheader with mkvmerge>Header Editor to set an other audio-stream as the default. Ore create an mkv and set the Streams as you wish. Download mkvtoolnix for that

korg1599

Portal Member
    September 15, 2011
    Awesome thanks for all of the help. I decided to just remove the stereo channels when encoding. Any reason why this might be bad? It still plays fine on PC and other devices with a non 5.1 receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom