Getting Rid of the Shares Menu Item (1 Viewer)

MacMini

Portal Pro
May 16, 2006
I am trying to figure out if there is any way to get rid of the Shares item which pops up in some of the sections, like Pictures or Music.

I have been trying to migrate from MCE to Media Portal for a while, but I think I made the leap last weekend. Plugins like My TV Series and My Films provide great end-user experience and are a joy to use.

But I find the Pictures (and to an extend the Music) sections a but less joyful. While I can live with the basic folder UI in Pictures, the first item is always that damned big arrow, pointing up to DOS-world and stuff like C: and D:

I don't see much use for Shares: there is a "back" button on the remote, and one can always choose any "watched folders." It really mars the UI of what I otherwise consider the best overall front-end available.

Is there a way to edit an available skin to hide the Shares item (I have settled on Foofaraw)? Or is there a plug that I have missed for Pictures or Music, which hides the Shares item? Shares are hidden in My TV Series and My Films, so it must be possible.

nfox

Portal Pro
August 22, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'd be keen to get rid of this option, or at least have MP remember the last view I selected as it always seems to revert to "Shares" whenever MP is restarted.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In Pictures (SVN Version required) you can set "Show by Date" as a view, which will show Year / Month / Day folders.

In Music, select any Database view to show all music by album, artist or whatever.

As a last way out, you can set any of your shares (the "ONE" you would be using) to be the default share (tick it in config).

MacMini

Portal Pro
    May 16, 2006
    In Pictures (SVN Version required) you can set "Show by Date" as a view, which will show Year / Month / Day folders.

In Music, select any Database view to show all music by album, artist or whatever.

As a last way out, you can set any of your shares (the "ONE" you would be using) to be the default share (tick it in config).

Thanks. I got the latest SVN and Music shows without the shares arrow - yepee:)

Pictures, unfortunately, still has it. Even when I leave only my Pictures folder (on a NAS) as the only share (I deleted the CD/DVD drive, which I didn't really want to do,) I still get the arrow. But at least now it doesn't send me to select from a list of letter drives, but only shows my pictures folder.

Still, no need for this arrow, now going nowhere. Wish we had the option to hide it.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    there could be a windows registry method to disable it, since I guess this is the same arrow from explorer. try googleing that if you feel daring...

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Go to Configuration / Pictures / Picture Folders. Then do one of the following :
    a) Select Remember last used folder
    b) Tick the mark in the folder list for your picture folder (It will be default).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom