[other] Getting the word out.... MORE PR!!!!! (2 Viewers)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Even in the US capitalization varies after the colon, as you can see in the Wikipedia link: "The Chicago Manual of Style, however, requires capitalization only when the colon introduces a direct quotation or two or more complete sentences." American journalistic style does usually capitalize after a colon. Since in Canada, Britain and usually in Europe you don't capitalize after a colon I thought we could follow the Chicago Manual of style which is a more general style guide.

TBH the ONLY reason we (or at least I) use American English is because the default spell check is usually set to US in our web software, and most users also end up with that as default on English systems. So it has become somewhat of a digital standard, unfortunately :) Soon I will have to write 'nite' and 'lite' and 'cu' and 'ur'.... :p

Dadeo.... I will say you are 99.9% right =) English is a VERY fluid language that has had more additions/changes in the last 10 years than in the last 200 years. That being said the new rule of the English language are "Does it look right?" and the lowercase E, albeit technically correct, does not look right. And when you consider that the upper case E is also technically correct and looks better, I think the choice is uppercase.

That being said this is a 'C' level (if that makes sense) detail. It is important, but seeing as how the argument can be made for either side correctly, I dont see a need to go out of the way to make changes to this retro-actively.. (ie changing any web graphcis) and if you are not going to change it there then you DONT want to change it on newer stuff.... consistency and unity is more important in this instance.

Just my two cents
    So do I have to make a change in the brochure ror not? :)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Loop - I wouldn't change it at this point... as it is correct. Changes made for appearances sake should only be done if you are going to change that slogan everywhere.

Okay guys..... Printed material is up.....

stevewabc is printing up a 3x8ft canvas banner as we speak!!! Pictures of it, the flyer and prize card are also on the printed material page of MPPR

PR Printed

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Lyfesaver74
    Don't want to be picky because I *really* appreciate the effort you are making, however shouldn't the text on the free tickets flyer say "Let us at MediaPortal take you on a..."? Also, the "media center" term doesn't have consistent capitalisation. I *think* it should be upper case to match the home page, although M$ may see it as referring to Windows MC and decide to sue for defamation (can they do that???).

@<all>: *Thank you* :D

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    ... the "media center" term doesn't have consistent capitalisation. I *think* it should be upper case to match the home page
    I don't know why media center was capitalized on home page! I fixed it there - as well as the capitalization after the colon. You are quite right that we are not using 'media center' as a proper name, so normally it should not be capitalized. Always best not to confuse it with WMC. ;).

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Unfortunately when I gave the text to stevewabc I mistakenly capped the M and C, so on the banner (which is already being printed) it is what it is. I dont see it on the flyer at all, capped or otherwise, and on the card that I did it is lower cased. Thank you tho for helping to make sure it is right =) much thanks!

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    I did fix the text in the flyer... changed "your" to "you" should be correct now! Thx again, mm!!

Wish I could stop it but can't. :(
    banner will be going out for grommets and then FEDEX this afternoon.

No worries, Steve..... it is my fault =) thanks again for doing it!!!!

stevewabc

Portal Member
    November 21, 2010
    Home Country
    @Loop - I wouldn't change it at this point... as it is correct. Changes made for appearances sake should only be done if you are going to change that slogan everywhere.
    Okay, I will prepare the print-res files of the brochure then. :)

infinite.loop or anyone: Question could we get a update logo at with a resolution of at least 300 please. Do to pulling it off the site the logo could have been crisper :( but other then that the banner came out sweet.

I do about 50 Home shows here in MN and we are giving away 5 MP HTPC this summer/fall and really would like a better logo...

Thanks Again
    Steven W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom