robv60

Portal Member
July 25, 2008
Current system:
Asus M3A78-M, 780g chipset
AMD 64X2 5000+ Brisbane
Hitachi SATA 3 500GB
OZ tech 2GB DDR2 800

I have the onboard video but unfortaunately I am still stuck with my old CRT TV. So, I need a video card that has S-Video out (or comes with an S-Video-Component cable) to go to my crap TV.I have narrowed my choice down to a nice ATI HD3450 card with 512mb memory onboard. I also need a tuner card and have been looking at the hauppage 1600 dual tuner which is only standard PCI. My question is, is it better to have my video card or my tuner connected through my PCIe x16 slot? Seems like the tuner would need the higher bandwith of the pcie x16 because of the live encoding/capture/etc. whereas the video card would be fine going through the pcie X1 slot since it will just be outputting what the card is capturing. Or, am I looking at this all wrong? Im kind of new to the idea of using a TV tuner. Im not going to be watching HD material right now, obviously given the TV. But I will in the future so the TV card I want needs to have the ability to do HD. If going HD, I dont suspect the standard PCI hauppage will do the trick. It will probably work fine given the current SD NTSC source. Bottom line....would the Tuner or GFX card benefit more from the faster pci 2.0 x16 slot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom