Global MP resume. (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

The idea here would be to have MP store it's current context (active module, current movie/playlist position etc.) somehow when exiting (alt + F4, shutdown...) so that it can resume to the same context on the next startup. I am a Java programmer so I don't know if such a shutdown hook can be implemented with .NET, but if it is possible, this feature would be really usefull IMO. You are listening to a playlist or watching a movie and you have to leave home : just shutdown your HTPC and when back, restarting it let you go on with what you were doing.

A

Anonymous

Thx Sam, hibernation is a good workaround for sure ! The only thing with it is that it can be quite long according to the amount of RAM installed on your HTPC....

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
fredo said:
Thx Sam, hibernation is a good workaround for sure ! The only thing with it is that it can be quite long according to the amount of RAM installed on your HTPC....

True, but then shutting your computer down and turn it back on takes a while as well. I guess the fastest is if you suspend/standby the machine, however this doesn't turn the computer off completely, so power is still being used.

Sam

A

Anonymous

Never stopwatched it, but I think it is a bit longer to hibernate/de-hibernate than to shutdown/restart... Well not so sure considering that hibernation prevents you from restarting MP !...

Anyway I am thinking of all of this in conjunction with the "MP as a shell replacement" feature which would allow IMO a much faster startup time. In such a case, maybe MP "turn off" function should be configurable, as Windows is, to alllow a simple shutdown, a standby or an hibernation.

What do you think ?!

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Hmm... you must have a pretty fast system if your shutdown/startup times are faster than hibernation! Maybe I have too many things on startup...

There has been some discussion about running MP as shell, but I'm not sure how that went.

It shouldn't be too hard to make MP resume at the same place when it was closed...maybe after frodo and the devs have finished the current improvements and bug testing/fixing...

Sam

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

I use an Archos MP3 jukebox with a Rockbox firmware installed, and I really like the "resume" function. When I switch the box off, it saves the current song position so that on the next startup it resumes at the last playlist and song position. I think it is really usefull and would love MP to do the same !.... What do you think ? Is it easly doable ? For MP the idea would be to sotre the active module (video, picture music...) and the current file position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom