Portal Pro
September 24, 2006
I live in Purmerend, a small town just above Amst
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Started on: 2007/03/04
last update: none yet

Summary

I would like to be able to search through my whole music database in stead of what's 'on-screen' now.

Description

I think you guys already know what I mean now, but I'll unfold my ideas here. It started with the frustration that I can only search in the current view (e.g. I've got the Artist view and I want to find Green Day, it won't work, since I have only about 25 entries, [0..9]..[Z]).

It is (IMHO) not quite intuitive. Search should not apply to the current view, but rather be a separate sub-process in which you can find anything. To keep it simple, when I search for Green Day I want a list of everything that can be found with Green Day (this can be artist, song, album or maybe even lyrics (long shot), anything that can be found in the ID3 tag or is stored in the MP database).

The results should be then shown in a listview. I think the results should be shown while the search is being executed and should be automatically sorted (so new found items should be inserted in the listview on the appropriate place).

The listview should have two columns with the item that has caused the hit and the type of the hit. When searching for 'test' the result could be like (the * is the column separator):

Going home for the test (Artist y) * Album
Testing my patience (Artist x) * Songname
You need to do some more (The testers) * Artist
etc.

This is just globally how I think about it, this (of course) should be worked out into detail, since it can be made quite comprehensive.

I hope this hasn't been discussed thoroughly already, in that case :sorry:, :oops: and I'll start shaming myself :D

I am a software developer, though I don't have a lot of experience with .net (yet). I do have quite some knowledge about Java, Delphi and OOP design and implementation in general so I think I can pick this up quite easily and am willing to do so, but first I would like this to be discussed :), I just wonder if I'm not the only one with this idea.

Thanks a lot and thanks for MP, it's made my life more perfect, lol

Edna

Portal Member
October 8, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi D-fader,
I'm looking for the very same feature. So you are not alone on this one;)

DalaNorth

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2006
    Skellefteå, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think it is a very good idea and something you definitely should get to work on. I do suggest you try to contact hwahrmann who is our music expert to make sure he isn't already working on something towards this end. You could try to find him on IRC at channel #mediaportal on irc.freenode.net or maybe send him a private message here. (Although he probably reads this post too...)

Regards
    DalaNorth

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Go for it.
    I'm not planning to do anything in that area in the near future.
    I've you need some help or asistant please PM me or update this thread.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Your efforts are duly appreciated! Despite minor deficiences like this, MP really rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom