Good PCI Video card (1 Viewer)

billybob00

Portal Member
September 9, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm trying to build a bare bones media system using a Dell Optiplex GX110. The problem is, it doesn't have an AGP slot, as I was thinking of buying the GEFORCE FX5200.

I'm not looking to record video or anything, I just want basic functionality so that I can easily view my media with a remote on the tv, using S-Video. That said, are there any good PCI video cards out there that would satisfy my needs? Thanks

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
PCI videocards are pretty expensive because they are not very much available. Also...you'll probebly not be able to find a card that is fast enough for MP.
The best thing you can do, best price/kwality choise, is buy a socket 745 or 939 motherboard (with nVidia chipset, not! VIA), a cheap semperon processor and a cheap PCI-e card (a nVidia 6200 or 6600 i.e.). I'm affraid the only thing you'll acomplish by buying a pci videocard is conclude that you've payed to much for something that can't possebly do the job.

If you're still planning on buying a PCI videocard, keep in mind that DirecX9 support will seriously increase performance.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Best thing you can do is get a AM2-based system;
    - Cheap mobos with 6150 (s754 only got 6100)
    - Semprons available (not for s939)
    - DDR2 is cheaper than DDR

So the only way to get the 6150/Sempron combo, is by going for AM2

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That could well be caused by a lack of recources of the motherboard. VIA chipsets s*ck, serously. I have never come across a VIA mainboard that didn't couse a lot of trouble.
    I seldomely have trouble with nvidia chipsets, they cost about 2% more but give much less trouble.

Okey probebly is right about buying a AM2 based system.

Mr.WOP

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 9, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Bram, what's the problem with VIA chipset? I also assume you mean Socket 754? The reason I ask is I have S754 CPU on MB with VIA chipset and TV freezes constantly and have not been able to resolve this.

A bit offtopic but are you using the DVB-EPG grabber?? If yes, try turning it off.
    Did the trick for me :)

Ontopic: I would go for the sempron. But then again i would use it all. :)
    If you don't use the TV bit a GF 5200 could work...

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    There is a GeForce 6200 for the PCI bus, but I also think that going for a MB+Proc replacement is the best thing to do.

There are some Socket 939 board with a GeForce 6150 chip onboard, but if you plan to invest in ths, a AM2 socket should be more futureproof.

Take a look at the www.bfgtech.com. They make a GeForce 6200OC for the PCI bus. Keep in mind that this card will work with MP since is a DX9 card, but the PCI bus will limit it's performance and you will propably not be able to do somethings like HD with the system.

billybob00

Portal Member
    September 9, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yeah, basically I'm trying to get away without having to buy another computer, and just upgrade my existing one. I figure if my current computer can playback all my video files as it is, all I'd need is an interface, such as MP, to control it on my TV. So buying a TV-out card is the missing piece of the puzzle that I'd need. I don't really see myself using HD video, as the TV I have is pretty old... I'll be hooking it up via S-video.

So my specs will be:
    PIII 800
    512 RAM
    GeForce 6200OC (if I get it)

Hopefully that will be enough for decent performance.

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You will be able to run MP, but don't expect very much of the performance. All specs are below minimum requirements.
    Your movies will probebly have delays and be sometimes out of sync because of the very limited processor capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom