Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I think there's also a PCI version of the Radeon 9250. Might be worth a look

sysrun

Portal Member
October 12, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
I'm trying to build a bare bones media system using a Dell Optiplex GX110. The problem is, it doesn't have an AGP slot, as I was thinking of buying the GEFORCE FX5200.

I'm not looking to record video or anything, I just want basic functionality so that I can easily view my media with a remote on the tv, using S-Video. That said, are there any good PCI video cards out there that would satisfy my needs? Thanks

Have build exact the same (GX115) ;)

My System has a AXLE nVidia GeForce 5500 (128 MB). Very good VideoOut.

Darrin2101

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Tampa
Home Country
The best PCI card that JUST came out and BY FAR the strongest VGA PCI (a title will probably hold forever), is an ATI X1300.

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=174&Itemid=27

I can't see anyone selling a PCI version of this card, just the PCI Express one.
I'm in a similar position to the original poster. My machine is a P4 2.3 Ghz but I'm also stuck with PCI slots.
I've been looking at the Gforce 5200 or the Radeon 9250 which I know is officially only a DX8 card but opinions seem to be divided on the compatibility of the card. On the surface the 5200 would be the obvious choice but I was worried about the SVideo output quality. With the Radeon you can get an RGB output from the VGA port. What's the solution (without junking 2/3rds of my system, I'm poor:( )?

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
If I HAD to get a PCI video card, I would wait for the one I told you about (even though it is overpriced and in fact tops PCI performance without reaching the actual performance of the chip), since with this I would make SURE I have support for the latest VS/PS/DX bells and whistles, plus it could make a good extra VGA for systems that already have their AGP or PCIx port occupied.

9250 and 5200 are waaay back compared to that card.

So... I dunno. :)

Darrin2101

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Tampa
Home Country
What exactly is it in both Mediaportal and MCE that requires such a powerful card? After all it's not doing anything you can't do on an Xbox and look at the spec of that! I'm still waiting for my tuner card to arrive but so far MCE has played every video format I've thrown at it using just the on-board IBM graphics chipset. The only real reason I'm upgrading is so I can hook it up to the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom