Good work! (1 Viewer)

dodge

February 3, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve been working on a media centre project for a little while now, tried various solutions but really never really found anything that worked as I wanted, basically it was the streaming of live TV (digital terrestrial) that I wanted most, as well as the option to shared my films, music etc.

Anyway, I came across this software the other night and was pretty intrigued. So I installed the dedicated server on an old pc (that already had MCE from a previous project) and then the client on my laptop. I got it all up and running pretty quickly and although there were a few little problems, I could stream live TV – bonus!
(The aim has always been to have thin clients around the house, and then a beefy server hidden away with all my tuner cards making lots of noise probably, and maybe down the line some home automation in there too)

So, last night I went a stage better and got a Dell Dimension 8400, 3Ghz, 3GB RAM, Hauppauge Nova-T-500 dual digital tuner, 2x160GB SATA HDD’s, installed a fresh copy of XP SP3, and then MediaPortal server.

The client machine I used is a Hiper media case (very slim factor), 2ghz, 1gb ram, sony slot loading dvd drive. This is currently hooked up to my sony bravia telly, but I have a 19” widescreen monitor that I will test when I next get a chance.

I had been getting a slightly jerky image, but at this point my aerial cable was going into my sony digibox and the output of that I was feeding to the TV card, as soon as I bypassed my digibox the jerkyness stopped. (as far as I could tell anyway)

Before work this morning I switched on my laptop and had it streaming to that at the same time as the hiper box and all was working fine. (I need to adjust colours and aspect ratios etc, but the principle works)

I have big plans for this stuff, ultimately I would like to support about 5 clients around the house (bedroom, lounge, study, kitchen, bathroom – waterproof ceiling speakers and some sort of touch screen monitor, this bit will be towards the end of the project!) I plan to get another tv tuner card, possibly a black & gold card, the 6 in 1 looks quite fancy…

Anyway, great work for all those of you who are working on this awesome project, I don’t have any more free time now until the weekend, but you can be sure I will be fiddling around a lot more.

I must admit I haven’t poked around this forum too much yet, so I’ve got lots to catch up on and learn im sure!

I’ll keep you posted with the project!

DAVE. :)

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there and welcome

Nice feedback :)

What LAN do you use/plan to use for your 5 client network?
    Feel free to post some pics of your setup.

dodge

February 3, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thank you, i took, some photos this morning then left my camera on my bedside table - doh! I'm off to the villa straight after work so will try and get them up soon.

Currently i have cat5e already wired to each room in the house, (twin sockets in each room) and this all feeds back to the patch panel in the comms cupboard where i have a couple of 10/100 netgear rackmount switches (This then sits behind my m0n0wall box). This is where I plan to put the dell server as the main aerial/satelite feed comes into there too. I might use some wireless too down the line, my laptop runs wireless (11g) and that worked just fine.

Geniet jou dag :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom