Gpu/hdtv/mp setup help please

Discussion in 'Newcomers Forum' started by ShadowB123, November 23, 2018.

1. ShadowB123

ShadowB123 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 1
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I have been searching for a long time for guidance on how to properly setup my HTPC with a nVidia graphics card for the best picture quality.

I just purchased an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC graphics card and have it connected from my HTPC to my HDTV (Samsung UN65KS8000) via HDMI. I got to say I am not impressed by the results of the video playback. The uncompressed videos that I play seem a bit grainy and the colors could use tweaking.

I am posting this in hopes that someone can help me tweak my GPU and or MediaPortal's internal player to get optimum playback.

I am a newbie and would appreciate some help with this.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bilis4

bilis4 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +42 / 1
    Home Country:
    Greece Greece
    Show System Specs
    First of all, do you have lav filters installed?
    Second you could use madvr as renderer instead of evr [WiP] - madVR support in MP1
    i have the same TV and a 1030 card and i must say that i love the picture i am seeing.

4. wjw

wjw Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry if this is a bit obvious, but....

I assume that you have used the HDMI port on the GPU and not the HDMI port on your motherboard. I have the fanless version of this card connected to a 49" Samsung using LAV and EVR and am very happy with the picture. However, I find that quite often after a Windows update the card has been removed - by Windows because it thinks the card is reporting errors - so the default onboard graphics get used and the picture is awful.

Also source material is important. Asking an SD source to be scaled to a 65" screen is a big ask - and I think that Samsung upscaling is excellent. Even on my 49" the difference is noticeable. I assume that your TV is connected to the internet so I would use one of the built-in apps to set the colours etc. the way I wanted by viewing some of the sample material available without the PC/card combination in use - then try again with the card. If still unhappy then try using the Nvidia software to control the display output rather than the MP player setup. There are a lot of additional facilities if you use the Nvidia control panel to adjust the picture.

5. ShadowB123

ShadowB123 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 1
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    billis & wjw,

Thank you for providing your responses and yes, I do have the HDMI connected directly thru the video card and not the motherboard.

MadVR isn't as straight forward as I would like as there are a plethora of tweaking options and I do not understand as to each and every option does or how each effects the visual outcome nor do I have the patients to read a dictionary sized set of of instructions to understand it all.

However, I did do some tweaking with nVidia settings and are somewhat comfortable with the colors and picture quality t this time.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!