Gpu/hdtv/mp setup help please (1 Viewer)

ShadowB123

Portal Member
December 14, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have been searching for a long time for guidance on how to properly setup my HTPC with a nVidia graphics card for the best picture quality.

I just purchased an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC graphics card and have it connected from my HTPC to my HDTV (Samsung UN65KS8000) via HDMI. I got to say I am not impressed by the results of the video playback. The uncompressed videos that I play seem a bit grainy and the colors could use tweaking.

I am posting this in hopes that someone can help me tweak my GPU and or MediaPortal's internal player to get optimum playback.

I am a newbie and would appreciate some help with this.

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sorry if this is a bit obvious, but....

I assume that you have used the HDMI port on the GPU and not the HDMI port on your motherboard. I have the fanless version of this card connected to a 49" Samsung using LAV and EVR and am very happy with the picture. However, I find that quite often after a Windows update the card has been removed - by Windows because it thinks the card is reporting errors - so the default onboard graphics get used and the picture is awful.

Also source material is important. Asking an SD source to be scaled to a 65" screen is a big ask - and I think that Samsung upscaling is excellent. Even on my 49" the difference is noticeable. I assume that your TV is connected to the internet so I would use one of the built-in apps to set the colours etc. the way I wanted by viewing some of the sample material available without the PC/card combination in use - then try again with the card. If still unhappy then try using the Nvidia software to control the display output rather than the MP player setup. There are a lot of additional facilities if you use the Nvidia control panel to adjust the picture.

ShadowB123

Portal Member
December 14, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
billis & wjw,

Thank you for providing your responses and yes, I do have the HDMI connected directly thru the video card and not the motherboard.

MadVR isn't as straight forward as I would like as there are a plethora of tweaking options and I do not understand as to each and every option does or how each effects the visual outcome nor do I have the patients to read a dictionary sized set of of instructions to understand it all.

However, I did do some tweaking with nVidia settings and are somewhat comfortable with the colors and picture quality t this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom