GPU question - change or modify? (1 Viewer)

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I currently have a MSI Cyclone GTX460 GPU in my Mediaportal server. I was playing games on it also, but have since removed them and switched to an Xbox360 for gaming.

I'm using SAF6, and I want to switch to using the LAVF CUVID codec - however, whilst the GTX460 is silent on idle or using PDVD11 codec, as soon as I switch to LAV codec, the fan speed ramps up on the GTX460 and is unbearable..

I can replace the card with another model - I'd want whatever the best silent / or near silent card is at the moment.

I should also say, I mostly watch live tv, so 1080i stuff..

The other option is to try to quieten the card I have - an aftermarket cooler or bios change, but it's very difficult to figure out what or how - underclock it maybe? I'd prefer not to have to run Afterburner, so BIOS mod would be better..

Any suggestions?

P

P.D

I would suspect a aftermarket cooler would not be far off the price of a Asus gt430 silent, which will do what you want.

Just a thought to add to your conundrum ;)

Ray

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yeah, a GT430 was a consideration.. Is there anything better at the moment? I couldn't see anything to be honest..

I could then always sell the GTX460 or reuse it elsewhere...

EDIT : OH! I also use the GTX460 card to bistream True HD and DTS HD Master - I presume this does the same? (I don't have a sound card in the pc)

I'm looking at getting this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0VWT2PR9T79CY26BVCNH but can't find any specs which say it supports bitstreaming...

Philip Schuster

August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I wouldn't bother with spending money on the card, I put the things in a cabinet that can be closed, a good case with some isolation could also drain out the fan noise a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom