1.15.0 "Graph building failed" when running TVServer with an account without administrator priviledges (1 Viewer)

Andy_2639

Portal Member
February 25, 2017
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello

I'd like to run TVServer with an account without administrator priviledges because I don't want to give a program which allows incoming network connections more rights than it has to have.

I tested this with my system 2639capricornus.

When running TVServer with an account with administrator priviledges (System or Administrator), everything is fine.
Running it with an unpriviledged account (Local Service or capricornus [a guest account]), I get the error message "Graph building failed".

Timeshift folder is "T:\MediaPortal TV Server\TimeShift-Buffer"
Logs folder is "T:\MediaPortal TV Server\Logs"

Both folders have the same access rights as both inherit them from "T:\MediaPortal TV Server".
So TVServer has enough rights to write to "T:\MediaPortal TV Server\TimeShift-Buffer" because it could create the log files.

I attached log files from running TVServer with Local Services and with System account.

Kind regards,
Andreas

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Andy_2639,

My guess in your other thread was correct:
    I can only guess that the account you were trying to use doesn't have permission to write to c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server.

As part of the tuner loading ("graph-building") process, TV Server saves a graph file (*.grf) for to c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server. There's one file for each tuner. Therefore the account that TV Server uses must be able to create, read and modify sub-directories and files within that directory. Note that tuning details (used for scanning), WebEPG configuration and a whole lot of other stuff is kept in that folder too, so if you were thinking of trying to get TV Server to use a different folder (eg. log folder => T:\MediaPortal TV Server\Logs), I honestly think you'd be making life hard for yourself.

Andy_2639

Portal Member
    February 25, 2017
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I already forgot that I manually moved the log folder ...

With Change rights, TVServer runs fine with Local Services account.
    Thanks!

After knowing for what I have to look in the log, the line
    TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.FilterGraphTools.SaveGraphFile(IGraphBuilder graphBuilder, String fileName)
    clearly says what went wrong. (I should have recognized it earlier, too.)
    Would it be possible to include the path of the file with access problems?

Out of curiosity: what contains the graph file that it has to be saved every time I start watching tv?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Would it be possible to include the path of the file with access problems?
    No, because the exception/error does not include/provide that detail to us. I only knew that it was a file access problem because I've seen it before.

Out of curiosity: what contains the graph file that it has to be saved every time I start watching tv?
    The file contains technical information related to the tuner. It's only saved when the tuner is loaded (ie. once per tuner after the TV service starts), not every time you start watching TV or change channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom