Graphics Card. Looking for recommendations (1 Viewer)

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Hopefully on my bike.
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm currently running through the motherboard graphics (ATi Radion Xpress 256MB. RAM hijacked from system memory) and see this as an obvious place to upgrade and hopefully see some benefits.

I'm not too hot on the deep techy side of things. I'm an IT professional so have an understanding but this is not my field so hopefully you guys can come up with some suggestions.

I don't play games on my htpc so that is not a requirement. It will need to be PCI-E to fit my mboard and I would prefer it to be fanless for quiet operation.

ATi? nVidia? Dunno. You tell me.

Budget approx. 70 GBP. Could stretch a bit further if you don't tell my wife :wink:

Cheers :)

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Hopefully on my bike.
Home Country
Aah... after having my post moved to the correct forum (which I'd not noticed existed) I see this question is answered above in the sticky :oops:

:arrow: It appears nVidia 6600 is the way to go then. What's the difference between 6600GT and 6600LE? Apart from about £20! Couldn't make much sense of the nvidia website.

Will try harder next time :roll:

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    The new ATI X1x00 seem to have some pretty nifty AVIVO features (some cases much more efficient that nvidia's purevideo), but not sure on the price over there. Otherwise a 6200 is always cheap....

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    the nVidia 6600GT does have some improvements over the 6600 ...

Advanced Temporal De-interlacing ...

however im not sure if the 6600GT series has a silent fan/heatsink...whereas the 6600 does

after buying the 6600 i was happy with the performance and quietness, that it doesnt much bother me anymore, however if there is a 6600GT with a heatsink instead of a fan, then i would buy that for my MP htpc and shuffle the 6600 to my other PC

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi John

Nvidia 6600 goes for my vote something about a native mpeg2 onboard chip for video work. About the difference between GT and non GT cards about 30% faster only really usefull for playing games, which we do (god if you could here the blood curdling screams from doom3, Prince of Persia, Sims2 Etc).
    Yep mines the full blown family pc one day i may build a dedicated HTPC but for now this is IT.

8)

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    In the USA, you need the extra memory bandwidth of the 6600GT to deinterlace ATSC (Digital TV, HDTV). I do not know how that affects others, but Microsoft suggests not less than 10GB/sec and as far as I can tell, they aren't exaggerating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom