[Approved] GUIListControl, popup first letter when scrolling (1 Viewer)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Also, it might be useful to add a skin attribute to enable scrolling (some plugins always sort by name so skin can enable functionality without change in the plugin). What do you think?

Doesn't the skin already have the possibility to "disable" this by just not implementing the scrollitem?

Will test the patch asap :D

No because now plugin has to control this functionality.. Because of sorting..

Yes, so the plugin can choose not to show the scrolling view by not setting the properties (#scrolling.up, #scrolling.down). But if the skin doesn't use this property then even if that property is set to true, nothing will be shown.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi pilehave,

patch looks fine, although I would prefer it if #selecteditem.firstchar would still be updated if scrolling is disabled by the plugin (so only #scrolling.up and scrolling.down get set to false).

And I saw that this is only enable for listview, would it be usefull for other views also (specially filmstrip/coverflow)?

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Doesn't the skin already have the possibility to "disable" this by just not implementing the scrollitem?

Will test the patch asap :D

No because now plugin has to control this functionality.. Because of sorting..

Yes, so the plugin can choose not to show the scrolling view by not setting the properties (#scrolling.up, #scrolling.down). But if the skin doesn't use this property then even if that property is set to true, nothing will be shown.

If you read back at my original post, I wasnt alking about hiding but showing, so the whole discussion doesnt make much sense :p

What you asked for (updating of property) I already have locally, and was going to add that :) I dont see much point adding this to “pictures“ views as thumb itself is enough indicator but perhaps someone else can comment too..

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    So, I like this patch, but I don't like the explicit limitation to Firstchar and thus alphabetic sorting.

How about something more generic.
    - For alphabetic sorting, show first char, as now, eg. "C"
    - For dated sorting, show year/month, eg. "Oct 2010"
    - For years show decade, eg. "1990s"

There are many more possibilities, ideally each plugin should offer some sort of desciption of its sort modes and how this pop-up should work, but this is beyond the scope of this patch I assume. So the above 2 addition would at least offer a good start, as I assume they are probably the 3 most used sort options. Would you agree?

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Inker, I already locally have implemented event for plugins to set for custom text (which would allow for your examples to work) - with some additional programming in plugins :)

But, for now, main problem is control holding the text. If we have it consistent (1 char) showing and sizing this text on (predefined) background is not a problem, because we know it's gonna be one char. If we don't know how long this text could be, placing this text on the same background could become problematic. And we don't have control (at least I was unable to find one) that would auto-size the font depending on control size.

One solution would be to limit the text to X characters so skinners could center the text on the background. x = 5? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom