Had enough of SageTV. Looking for my next HTPC (1 Viewer)

LaoChe

Portal Member
June 24, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I haven't seen much in these forums about SageTV. I have been using it for about 8 years with nothing but success but now my extender seems to be having issues. Investing in a new extender seems pointless and the alternatives (like Plex) seem to complex. I like the idea of open source software so I don't have to worry about getting googled again. If I am reading other posts correctly, MP can do this:

have multiple tuners (in my case 2 silicondust HDHRs and 1 Hauappauge tuner card)
schedule shows and record entire series
play recorded and streaming music
play recorded movies
be easy enough for my wife to use
That's pretty much the only thing I need it to do

but I am not sure about this:
It sounds like I will have to subscribe to a TV listing service, right?

And the biggest question... clients.
Do they all need to be Win7 as well? Luckily, my server is running win7 but it seems like a lot of extra overhead and cost for a simple client that has only 1 function.

Thank a lot.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

It sounds like I will have to subscribe to a TV listing service, right?
    Nope, you have options:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/setup-help.124506/#post-1061869

AFAIK only the SchedulesDirect option is not free.

And the biggest question... clients.
    Do they all need to be Win7 as well? Luckily, my server is running win7 but it seems like a lot of extra overhead and cost for a simple client that has only 1 function.
    To run MediaPortal (ie. the client) or TV Server (ie. the TV back end) you need Windows. XP and newer should work for "desktop" versions of Windows, though XP itself is no longer officially supported by us or Microsoft. Server and other random versions (eg. CE, embedded) based on NT are not officially supported but may work. Mobile, RT and anything else not based on NT won't work.

You can also use XBMC as a client for the TV Server, which opens your client options to almost anything that XBMC will run on.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom