Hannibal series sort order (vs Star Wars) (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

WOW, Amazing plugin, so easy to use with the installer, well done RoChess this is awesome. I wanted to post because I found an error in the order of the hannibal / silence of the lambs movie series.

It should be listed in this order

Hannibal I - Hannibal Rising (2007) - tt0367959
    Hannibal IIa- Manhunter (1986) - tt0091474
    Hannibal IIb - Red Dragon (2002) - tt0289765
    Hannibal III - Silence of The Lambs (1991) - tt0102926
    Hannibal IV - Hannibal (2001) - tt0212985

Hannibal Rising is a modern prequal to the original 3 movies in the series (1. Man Hunter, 2. Silence of The Lambs, 3. Hannibal).

Red Dragon is the same as Man Hunter, It is just a modern remake of the same movie.

Added to issue tracker as I was unable to edit the movie rename list - http://code.google.com/p/imdbplus/issues/detail?id=38

If you argue that movies should be listed in order of when they were made rather than the order in which they are placed in the story line, I would direct you to the renaming convention you are currently using for star wars which is based on the story line rather than movie year.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi

WOW, Amazing plugin, so easy to use with the installer, well done RoChess this is awesome. I wanted to post because I found an error in the order of the hannibal / silence of the lambs movie series.

It should be listed in this order

Hannibal I - Hannibal Rising (2007) - tt0367959
    Hannibal IIa- Manhunter (1986) - tt0091474
    Hannibal IIb - Red Dragon (2002) - tt0289765
    Hannibal III - Silence of The Lambs (1991) - tt0102926
    Hannibal IV - Hannibal (2001) - tt0212985

Hannibal Rising is a modern prequal to the original 3 movies in the series (1. Man Hunter, 2. Silence of The Lambs, 3. Hannibal).

Red Dragon is the same as Man Hunter, It is just a modern remake of the same movie.

Added to issue tracker as I was unable to edit the movie rename list - http://code.google.com/p/imdbplus/issues/detail?id=38

If you argue that movies should be listed in order of when they were made rather than the order in which they are placed in the story line, I would direct you to the renaming convention you are currently using for star wars which is based on the story line rather than movie year.

Glad you liked it.

99% of the movie connections are straight from IMDb website, as in: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091474/trivia?tab=mc

Eventhough Red Dragon is a verion/remake of Manhunter, it is still told in a totally different way and almost plays like a flashback within a movie. Meaning the order can be kept the way it is and a prequel doesn't always actually have to play before you watch the others. It deepens the story you already know sorta speak.

In the case of Star Wars however we enter a different reason and that is George Lucas decision to forcefully rename the classic movies in a way where you know ahead of time (well on 2nd movie anyway before 1st was renamed officially), that a prequel trilogy is meant to go infront. Otherwise you get the weird result "Star Wars II: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back"?

And sure you are right, I'm many times in doubt as well on how to watch these, I grew up on 4-6 first and 1-3 to follow, but Lucas when he made 1st he envisioned it to be watched 1-6 so I'm sticking to the title verbatim that way (considering it has the Roman numerals in them) and following the directors clues on that and not the release order.

The default rename database is indeed not meant to be edited at usage level, because it gets distributed from the Google code SVN location so that everybody automatically gets the updates when a contributor or me adds a new entry. However this is where the custom rename database comes into account. You can overrule any default choice with your own anytime you want, it requires a little bit of manual editing with notepad or your favorite editor.

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Team MediaPortal -> MediaPortal -> "User Files" -> navigate to "IMDb+" folder -> edit the custom XML file, syntax explanation is inside of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom