Hard Drive Storage (1 Viewer)

TheGuy

Portal Member
November 28, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I resently upgrade the 2 1TB drives in my HTPC with 2 2TB drives this should leave me with a fair amount of time before I need more storage space but rather than waiting til then I've decided to prepare to make use of my 1TB drives using a few of those esata devices where you can just plug in a drive like its a floppy.

I have 4 1TB drives laying around and I've been looking for a nice safe way to store them preferable a case of some kind that's actually sectioned off for 3.5 drives. So far all I've found are drive vaults and soft carrying cases has anyone seem something that sounds like what I'm looking for?

TheGuy

Portal Member
November 28, 2008
Home Country
Maybe eventually but no I'm thinking low tech just a plastic box for storing offline drives. I was hoping for something geared specifically at Hard drives but the more I look it seems i'll have to adapt something else to the task.

RivaSA

Portal Member
June 24, 2009
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Lian Li might have some stuff for you.
The first is an internal unit that you van lay outside for the meantime. I have used these before. Not only are ther rugged and good looking but the fan keeps the drives really cold. Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.
The second is just a metal case for next to your pc which sounds more like what you are looking for. Maybe still a bit much for now. Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.

I do head a warning though, if you plan to have 4 drives in a single enclosure they will generate a LOT of heat and this will radically shorten the life span of the drives. I heard once that for every 3 degrees you drop in temp you can almost double the lifespan. I have just upgraded my 6 1 Tb drives to 1.5 and can tell you that before I worked hard on my cooling my machine was like a pizza oven.

Hope you come right. I have gone through this whole episode before so if you want to bounce some ideas please feel free.

Cheers

TheGuy

Portal Member
November 28, 2008
Home Country
I'm thinking Low Tech or No Tech...

Think 1998 the cases with the cover you put your cds and floppies in but instead for offline hard drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom