Hardware update for Mediaportal Client - what are you guys using? (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

Until recently, I was using a Raspberry Pi with Raspbmc (with the Mediaportal Plugin) in my bedroom but although I agree it is a great bit of kit, I have concluded that it is just a bit too slow to use as an everyday client and I also feel that I am missing out on features that a true Mediaportal Client offers.

The Pi is to have a new home in my Kitchen and I am currently using a laptop to run mediaportal in the bedroom.

This is not ideal as it is too big and it is getting irritating having to keep unplugging it whenever it is needed.

I am now considering something small and dedicated as a Mediaportal client.

I was looking at buying something pre-built but am coming round to building something myself - which would be more powerful, potentially quieter and cheaper.

I was thinking that the cheapest ivy bridge chip, a single 4Gb RAM stick, a cheap mini-itx board, a 60gb SSD all wrapped upon in something like an Antec ISK 110.

What do you guys think and what is everyone else out there currently using?

I ideally want something that is powerful enought to run mediaportal flawlessly - my old Acer Revo Aspire R3610 used to drive me made in this respect as it kept freezing up and would then suddenly shoot through all the menus.

Thanks

Alex

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Need to know if DVB-T in your country broadcasts any 1080i. Makes a huge difference on hardware requirements.

I recommend the following to most people.
    AMD A6-5XXX CPU (integrated graphics)
    Cheapest low end FM2 Motherboard
    2x2GB DDR3 1600/1866 (Always go dual for integrated gpu)

There is a lot of h/w advice in our wiki that was recently updated.

If wanting integrated cpu+mobo then look at e450 with dual slot ram or Intel NUC.
    There are also brand new AMD chips coming out that are good.

Last edited:

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi KJ,

I am in the UK so I shall indeed have to deal with 1080i.

It is very interesting that you have suggested going down the AMD route - I was planning on only ever going with intel for the future but I will always keep an open mind. What is the main benefit of the A6-5xxx over an i3?

Your comments have made me wonder whether I could perhaps swap a few things around before considering what to buy.

At the moment I have, (in addition to the laptop and Raspberry Pi) two main PCs:

My server/standalone HTPC, which has a i3-2105 CPU, an MSI mAXT mobo and 2x4GB RAM - 4GB being used for RAM Disk.

My desktop, which has a Athlon IIx2 240e in an ASUS mATX 785G mobo and 4x4GB and 2x2GB RAM.

Is this the most sensible thing to be doing?

For instance, would it make more sense to use the i3-2105 for the desktop and use the the Athlon IIx2 240e in the HTPC instead?

Or could I use either of the CPUS in a mini-itx mobo for the new client?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i3-2105 - Great CPU for HTPC, good onboard gpu (better than i3-2100), handles 1080i Well

785G - Probably too slow for 1080i, would struggle/borderline.

Intel i3-2105 vs' AMD A6-5400k
    AMD is cheaper cpu, motherboard will be slightly cheaper as well, faster GPU
    Both are great CPUs for HTPC and I recommend both.

Anyways the Intel i3-2105 has been replaced with Intel i3-3225
    (Although the i3-3220 is probably ok for 1080i due to the gpu upgrade, untested)
    Will have to change the wiki at some stage, have to wait to see how the i3-3220 goes with 1080i, I suspect it will be fine.

New AMD CPUs look really good for small HTPC
    http://ultrabooknews.com/files/2013/05/AMD-Kabin-SKUs.jpg
    AMD A4-5000 & AMD A6-5200, really low Wattage/Heat.

Hi KJ,
    For instance, would it make more sense to use the i3-2105 for the desktop and use the the Athlon IIx2 240e in the HTPC instead?
    Or could I use either of the CPUS in a mini-itx mobo for the new client?

I think the 785G doesn't do 1080i well (I'm sure you've tried)
    The Intel has better transcoding if you plan on transcoding to the Pi
    I wouldn't use either of the CPUs in a mini-itx for a new client, but if you did it would be the i3-2105

Last edited:

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi,

I did originally use the 785G for my HTPC and it did cope with 1080i, though as you say, I think it was operating close to its limit as it took ages for video to actually start but was fine when it eventually got going.

I think I can comfortably say that I should sell the 785G board and CPU whilst it is still worth something, which would then leave me with the need for three computers - one as my desktop for video/photo editing (I don't play any games), one as my Main Standalone HTPC (acting also as my file server) and one as a little client for the bedroom.

How much more important is the graphics capability on the all-in-one CPUs compared to their outright speed, when it comes to HTPCs?

That A4-5000 that you referred to has a massively improved graphics chip compared to the i3-2105, yet it is considerably slower. Do you think I would notice any real world difference between the two, given that they are both considerably above the minimum specs required for Mediaportal?

One other interesting point you raised - why would I need to transcode to the Pi as opposed to just streaming to it?

Thanks again - I am learing a lot!:)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you use google you can find out about transcoding and streaming.
    The A4-5000 is a special low power low heat cpu, that can be used in laptops, miniHTPCs etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom