Harmony or SnapStream (1 Viewer)

tusharj

April 21, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Building my first MP HPTC. Which is the best remote that works out of box with MP? Also allows customization of keys if need? I've searched all the forum threads but havent found a definate answer. I'm thinking about getting a snapstream firefly or one of the Harmony remotes.
Are Gyration remotes supported on the new build ?

Thanks in advance.

drealit

Portal Pro
March 15, 2008
It sounds like there's some confusion here... a Harmony remote is a universal remote, it is capable of controlling your entire home theater (and more if you want to). A Firefly is a PC remote control, its only purpose is for this.

Harmony's do not come with IR Receivers, you'd need to buy a separate one for your computer if it isn't already built into your HTPC enclosure. An IR Receiver is how the PC accepts the commands a remote control is sending to it. Without the IR receiver, it would be like trying to talk to a person that is both deaf, blind and doesn't speak your language (that's a bit overkill of an example but it works). Once you hook up the IR Receiver (your PC can now see/hear that you're trying to communicate with it) you program the Harmony remote (teach it the language your speaking) with your other remote(s). Programming with another remote (the original factory remote for the device) is the easiest way to do it... otherwise you need to manually add the control/functions through Harmony's interface which could be a lot of work. In your situation, you'd be buying both a Harmony remote AND a Firefly remote, the Firefly would program the Harmony.

However, most people purchase MCE remotes with MCE IR Receivers which, yes, will practically work out of box (you'd install IR Server Suite for full control). You need to program your Harmony remote to work like the MCE remote. The best part is, MCE remotes are pretty cheap (especially off Ebay) and very easy to program a Harmony with.

I tried to be as clear as possible, I think the real world example I gave really hits it home. I have a Harmony One (it really is a great remote) that I programmed off my Moneual 312B enclosure (this was a bit more work) but I originally had an MCE receiver that was very easy to setup. I hope you understand what I've been saying and can figure out what you want to do from here. If you decide to just purchase a remote like the Firefly (a strictly PC remote), I highly recommend going the MCE route instead because they're very easy to work with and cheap.

tusharj

April 21, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
thank you drealit; :D

Does anyone know if gyration remotes are supported?
eg: Gyration Air Music Remote - 103-btn Remote control

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom