Hassle-Free MediaPortal Remote Control (1 Viewer)

jerhewet

January 24, 2011
Temecula, CA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm looking for a 100% hassle-free remote control that I can use with MediaPortal. Something that works right out of the box, with zero configuration. I don't want to have to install event handlers, keyboard mappers, and install half a dozen other services and spend a couple of hours trying to figure out how to get everything working. I just want to plug something into a USB port, launch MediaPortal, and have a fully-functional remote control.

Yeah, I sound kinda snarky. You woiuld too if you had just wasted a couple of hours installing EventGhost, LM Key Mapper, and a dozen other damned things and screwing about with configuration files only to find out your supposedly MCE compatible remote still isn't working right. So yeah. Ta hell with all that. I want something that works right the first time with no messing about.

Jerry (Not A Happy Camper) H.

Berns

Portal Pro
July 27, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
jerhewet,

Before I bought my remote (a gyration 3101) I looked around in this forum and googled around. I found a nice step by step to combine it with MediaPortal using EventGhost.
And meanwhile I'm also controlling my subwoofer, my amplifier and my TV with the same remote.
And on top of that, it's also a spectacular mouse for the HTPC.

Ok, it takes a bit of time to make the the computer understand the remote correctly using Eventghost. But when that is done it's a free ride home.
If you don't find the step by step any more, I'm happy to share it with you.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi jerhewet - what remote do you have? You said you had trouble with your MCE compatible remote, but you shouldn't. There are a few 'variations' - I have the MCE remote that came with my Hauppauge card (Hauppauge PVR- kit) - it does not have the colored buttons but does have the 'My" buttons - and it works 'out of the box' for 99% of everything I want to do. Of course, I configured it to start MP with the Green Button and eventually I mapped a few 'extra' controls to buttons, but I think most users find MCE remote the easiest to setup. Normally all you have to do is select it under Configuration > Remote and that's it.

So if you can be a bit more specific about what did not work for you, you might get lucky and find an easy solution.

jerhewet

January 24, 2011
    Temecula, CA
    Home Country
    > What remote do you have?

This one: Amazon.com: Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition: Electronics . And 90% of the buttons on the control don't work with MP. They worked fine with Media Center, but are useless lumps of rubber with MP.

> Normally all you have to do is select it under Configuration > Remote and that's it.

Tried it (a couple of times), and no dice. I can use the control to move around (somewhat) in the MP UI and start a video, but that's about it.

I've ordered both of the controllers guytpetj recommended, and will report back with my success (or lack thereof) when they arrive.

Jerry H.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Crapola - yet another incarnation of the MCE Remote! Still it should work. If you can use arrow keys and enter to play a video, at least you know it is sending/receiving signals! And as I said, it should work out of the box, so I would recommend you post in the Remotes Support forum and submit log files in case something shows up that could be easily fixed.

Be sure to either complete your system specs first, or report all your system details like OS, MP Version aso as well as the support team will need that info to try and resolve the problem for you.

jerhewet

January 24, 2011
    Temecula, CA
    Home Country
    The Amazon.com: Noah Company MediaGate GP-IR02BK Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate MCE Remote Control, 2 Channel IR (Black): Electronics arrived yesterday, and, as promised by guytpetj, it works like a bloody charm with MediaPortal! ALL of the buttons on the remote control are working, and I now have full control over all the features in MP. When the Hauppauge arrives I'll probably keep it as a spare, but I'm definitely ordering another one of the MediaGate controllers as a backup.

Crapola - yet another incarnation of the MCE Remote! Still it should work. If you can use arrow keys and enter to play a video, at least you know it is sending/receiving signals! And as I said, it should work out of the box, so I would recommend you post in the Remotes Support forum and submit log files in case something shows up that could be easily fixed.

Be sure to either complete your system specs first, or report all your system details like OS, MP Version aso as well as the support team will need that info to try and resolve the problem for you.

Roger that. I'll post the particulars and read up on how to create / capture log files to assist in the effort.

Have to say that I'm VERY happy with MediaPortal. Out of all the different media center applications I've used MP is by far the best of breed. You *are* The Men!

Jerry H.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Roger that. I'll post the particulars and read up on how to create / capture log files to assist in the effort.

Have to say that I'm VERY happy with MediaPortal. Out of all the different media center applications I've used MP is by far the best of breed. You *are* The Men!

Jerry H.

Thanks Jerry, Nice to hear! Sorry I should have pointed you to the info on how to create/capture log files. It's really easy - basically just use the MP Debug-Mode Shortcut from Windows Start Menu Programs. But for all the gory details, see the Wiki: Support > Log Files

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    > What remote do you have?

This one: Amazon.com: Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition: Electronics . And 90% of the buttons on the control don't work with MP. They worked fine with Media Center, but are useless lumps of rubber with MP
    I guess that nothing on the remote says "Microsoft". Judged by the image on amazone it is one of the "rebuilts".
    And those rebuilts are not supported in MP, only the "real" Microsoft Remote which you can see a image from inside MP Configuration.
    Those rebuilts you should be able to get to work with IRSS.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I used the MS MCE remote for a while, but wanted a "universal" for my other components. I bought the Logitech Harmony 300 for $40 at K-Mart. I programmed it (via the internet device-lookup library) to work with Media Portal (with the MS MCE IR transceiver) and also to work with my DVD/VCR combo, my TV and my surround receiver.

It was pretty painless to set up, just enter the device manufacturer and model number to be assigned to a device button on the remote. The only difficulty is remembering button arrangement ... and which keys I programmed for what function in my other devices, but the MS MCE compatability is flawless in Media Portal.

- Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom