Haswell CPUs for HTPCs !! (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yup I know, madVR is closed source so we can't use it and have our onscreen OSD/GUI at the same time :)

radical

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you see:
    Our overall conclusion is that Haswell takes discrete GPUs out of the equation for a vast majority of HTPC users. The few who care about advanced madVR scaling algorithms (such as Jinc and the anti-ringing filters for Lanczos) may need to fork out for a discrete GPU, but even those will probably be of the higher end variety rather than the entry level GT 640s and AMD 7750s that we have been suggesting so far.

It's funny, that Anandtech acts as if AMD APU's wasn't existing.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you see: 303 USD for the Core i7-4765T? Talk about expensive - you can corrosponding AMD APUs for less than half of that.

Golfimbul

Portal Member
    June 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/intels-haswell-an-htpc-perspective

Lots of improvements in the new Haswell CPU, especially for quicksync and 23.976(it works now)!

I can see a lot of ppl going for BRIX : http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104

or Intel NUCs : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/nuc.html

Of course, when they support the 1150 Haswell CPUs.

I've got an i3 4130t on the way along with an Asrock H87M

Will probably retire my nvidia gt 640 if the intel GPU is up to task

Will let you know. It certainly looks promising!

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Lately I've tested a Haswell Pentium (G3220) with "Low End" Haswell APU. The GFX is awesome. It outperforms my GT430 with ease. As your i3 has a more powerful GPU than the Pentium, I'm pretty sure you will retire your gt640 asap...

Golfimbul

Portal Member
    June 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi.
    Lately I've tested a Haswell Pentium (G3220) with "Low End" Haswell APU. The GFX is awesome. It outperforms my GT430 with ease. As your i3 has a more powerful GPU than the Pentium, I'm pretty sure you will retire your gt640 asap...

I have already haha. I actually setup the mobo and CPU to suddenly find the PSU was the problem all along. Easter and a misorder meant I only wound up with the new PSU yesterday (Seasonic 360W G Series 80 plus gold). Absolutely zero issues with the Intel onboard. I didn't even reinstall windows/media portal, just had to reactivate the windows key and mediaportal ran like nothing had changed. Quite amazing really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom