Hauppauge - 1577 Capture Card (1 Viewer)

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
May 12, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have just discovered Hauppauge has released its new capture card. The card is called the "Colossus 2." I have looked through the Colossus/HD Pvr thread and haven't come across any mention of whether this card will work with Mediaportal.

Does anyone have experience with the Colossus 2?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Yeah, this post is the first Colossus 2 reference that I recall seeing.
    I was involved in adding support for the Colossus [1], and in writing the patch for the HD-PVR 2. I doubt that the Colossus 2 will work with MediaPortal right now... but making it work should not be hard.

Regards,
    mm

[edit: ...though to be clear, when I say "not hard": as a prerequisite we'd still need log files and/or input from somebody who actually owns a Colossus 2 in order to even begin trying to add support.]

Last edited:

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, there is always a first time.

I couldn't even discover if the 1577 - Colossus 2 even uses the same chipset.

What other basic information about the card would be needed.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I couldn't even discover if the 1577 - Colossus 2 even uses the same chipset.
    I suspect it probably uses the same chipset as the HD-PVR 2. In any case, this isn't really relevant when it comes to support in MediaPortal.

What other basic information about the card would be needed.
    Like I already said, what I'd need for a start would be log files. Specifically, I want the DxDiag output that is bundled with them. The DxDiag output will tell me about all the crossbar, capture and encoder filters that are registered in the system. This is the first information that is necessary for adding support.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    mm, don't they send you sample tuner card once they released?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mm, don't they send you sample tuner card once they released?
    Most companies including Hauppauge have never sent me samples. Only a few such as TBS, DD and TT have done that, and they don't send a sample for each new product.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks Ben! :)

The log files confirm my suspicions about the relationship to the HD-PVR 2. In fact, I'm happy to report that the existing HD-PVR 2 patch should work for the Colossus 2 as well. You can get the latest version of that patch from here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...mediaportal-and-me.121130/page-4#post-1053773

Install instructions are here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...twork-mediaportal-and-me.121130/#post-1022060

To be clear, you follow the instructions in the second link with the file from the first link.

Regards,
    mm

ben dover

June 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Only tested the hdmi input but as expected it works beautifully.

Thanks a lot mm.

... and everybody else that contributes for that matter.

n0rm4an

April 25, 2012
    Home Country
    Argentina Argentina
    Hi, I have the colossus 1, and the quality is good, not great. If I wtah TV directly (Deco to TV) the quality is FAR more better. I have the colossus configured for VBR 20/24 Mbits, and tried CBR 20 Mbits, and have the same results, lots of quality loss. Then I saw the new colossus, but the bit rates it supports are FAR lower, has anyone made a comparission between the colossus 1 and 2. I know that higher bitrate not always mean better qualitty. So, if someone could throw some light on this I will really preciate it.
    Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom