[ATI] HD 4200 vs HD4350 (1 Viewer)

Undel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 23, 2008
    Lubertsy, Moscow region, Russia
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    My Motherboard was broken, so I've bought a new one. The new board has ATI HD 4200 onboard (memory from RAM). I also have Asus EAH4350 silent graphic card with 512 MB DDR2. How this graphic chips compare when used for DXVA? Am I right, that HD4350 is better than HD4200, or the difference is too small to see?

krikkit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2008
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    the HD4200 should satisfy all you needs as long you don't wan't to game on the system, i have such a card and even watching hdtv in 1080i is no problem so, give it a try...

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    How are you finding the display's stablity, dropped frames, and are you getting late frames / sync adjustments in your logs? How about when you do a <Shift><1> and see the graphs - are they straight and no dropped frames? I see you're running the Win 7 64-bit and I'm on 32-bit, but I can't get stable EVR display whether it's LiveTV or recorded on HD resolution material... oddly enough I can play REALLY hi-resolution .264 mkvs and with DXVA "on" the CPU usage is really, really low... MPEG-2 requires more CPU and I can't seem to get the GPU to do much for MPEG-2. I'm using the MS DTV as well as PDVD8 as my best candidates.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

The EVR dropped frames isn't directly related to your card. I run a 4200, 3200, 4290, and a 5450. All are capable of 1080i/p

The issue of dropped frames is/has been a long going issue with MePo. :(

Alot of people have been spending a lot of time trying to get it nailed.

For me, chosing the correct codecs, using a ramdrive for timeshift, and using a modified dshowhelper with reclock has virtually eliminated dropped frames. I no longer experience stuttering (nothing like tempting fate) :O

Chances are I don't need all the above - but over time I have tried different things and never removed some of them.

J.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the comment and that IS encouraging. As you mention, we put different things in place and never remove them - I've been trying to come up with a robust basic system, I built a new HTPC (see My System) and am trying to NOT load it up with a bunch o' plug-ins, codecs, and the such in an attempt to use MediaPortal in its purest form where my system is stable, free of dropped frames, etc. I'd prefer not to have to load ReClock and other add on programs. My last system was VERY stable but realizing MP 1.0.2 (and Windows XP) will soon be obsolete I thought I should upgrade my system and look into all this Win 7 business... I can't tell if the symptoms I see are Win 7 based (using new DTV codecs, etc.) or something in the MP Release Candidates. But thanks for the feedback!

I think I'm finding the dropped frames are occurring on a regular time interval and quite possibly not related to being interlaced (1080i) material - I'm seeing similar "pulse blips" in the chart (and logs) with progressive (720p) material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom