HDMI-CEC Control (1 Viewer)

opeters

Portal Member
July 29, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I think it would be cool to control your new HDMI receiver with your HTPC within Mediaportal.
Unfortunatly there are no grafic card that i know of that can. I could only find this site: RainShadow Tech LLC where you can order a serial to HDMI-CEC interface. Has anyone experiance with this or other software/hardware that allows you to control your LCD TV or Receiver trough HDMI?

sfinz

Portal Member
March 14, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
This would be nice indeed! My HTPC is connected to my TV by HDMI (using the HDMI connector on the Asus M3N78-VM mobo). The remote of my TV (Sony) has some buttons that transmit commands over HDMI. This is called something like 'BRAVIA Link', but the commands should be interpretable by every HDMI device I guess. It would be nice if those buttons could control Media Portal.

htpclover

May 20, 2010
Amsterdam
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
This would be very cool indeed,

However. Manufacturers are not even capable of supporting each others hardware (e.g. Reveivers, DVD/Blu-ray players etc). They all have their own protocol for speaking to each other. So a sony device will communicate to a sony device but not a Philips). Of course they do this to sell more of their own products. So until the standards really becomes a standard i don't think general hardware manufacturers are going to spend development time on this.

Unfortionately.:mad:

Greetz,

HTPC Lover

chewbaka

Portal Member
January 13, 2008
TOULOUSE
Home Country
France France
Well, sorry to be digging out an old threat but I would also love that to work.
I wanted to precise the previously given information as I don't believe it to be entirely true. Though each manufacturer likes to give the CEC function it's own specific name for obvious marketing reasons I think they all follow the CEC standard up to a point and the basic functionalities (of which the sound control are) should be inter-operatible. For example my samsung TV is very able to control my onkyo receiver (anynet+ on one end and RIHD on the other) volume, and this is a fantastic function for me since the receiver is hidden inside a closed piece or furniture.
Now if it could work likewise for the MCPC that would be great. However I'm not sure the TV remote could control the MCPC because there might be a little too many keys / commands required.
But another classy command that works thanks to CEC is auto on/off and automatic input selection (I'm not 100% sure about that last one, at least does not work perfect between my tv and amp). This might look gadget but still it would be nice if when I fireup the PC the TV and amp would also come back to life with the relevant inputs selected.

my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom