Hello, here I am... newbie + volunteer (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

this is the typical obligatory newcomer post to let eveyone know what a jerk I am and get all the flaming out of the way as soon as possible... :shock:

I've been looking at HTPC stuff for quite a while and settled on using MediaPortal. mythTV was in the running for ages but in the end I decided it would be good if my kids could play Doom III etc on the TV without having to dual boot and stuff. So, out with Gentoo and in went XP.

Now I'm looking for something to do... (opens Pandora's box....)

I've been programming for 20 years and game to tackle anything. I also have heaps of experience in documentation and project management. I was thinking maybe to start with some doco as it would help get me up the learning curve a bit faster before I start hacking code.

So, what are the most pressing needs at the moment?

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Seriously, I do...

Great you wanna help us out!
    We do need some docs to be written yes (Wiki maintainer)
    But I don't like telling people what to do.
    It's more like what you wanna do for us.

If you r willing to maintain / run through the wiki that would be perfect!

http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/

A

Anonymous

MrMario64 said:
    Seriously, I do...

Great you wanna help us out!
    We do need some docs to be written yes (Wiki maintainer)
    But I don't like telling people what to do.
    It's more like what you wanna do for us.

If you r willing to maintain / run through the wiki that would be perfect!

http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/

Beer? This early in the morning? I thought Scotch was more traditional... goes better with weetbix, or so I've been told :)

I have my own pet needs, of course, and I've been reading a lot of postings for a week now before taking the plunge. As others seem to be addressing most of what I want anyway I figure it's best to keep out of the way at first. I also figure that the more information newcomers can get their hands on the more likely they'll jump on board.

I'll check out the wiki.

Regards,
    Trevor

A

Anonymous

tlampre said:
    I'll check out the wiki.

Cool thing, as you are a 'newcomer' you might know newcomers problems ;-) and maybe you even know how to fix them by time. Would be cool if you share your knowledge on the wiki.

Just for now, I'm the wiki-master (until mody is back from brazil). So i'd like to welcome you. As you mentioned documentation, the wiki is just the right place. Get in touch, and if you see something that needs a change/update, feel free to do it yourself. I'm monitoring the changes, and if some great mistakes are made, i'll undo them, so you can't do anything wrong but improve the wiki.

The thoughts are to make the wiki the source of all Media Portal documentation. That means, to compile a wiki-snapshot of the most important pages to a (pdf|html|whatsoever)-file when a (new|stable) version of Media Portal hits the streets. And for this, we allways need to keep the wiki up-to-date.

I hope you got the point, and i didn't talk to much. But i want to have as many people as possible to contribute to the wiki, to make a manual from users for users.

Greets Dek

O

oakleeman

I'd like to help

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, but I would be glad to test applications and such. I can point out spelling errors and such in the documentation possibly. However I am noticing that there seems to be very few people in the US. This seems to be affecting some of the spelling (Recipes<-->Recipies) differences. Also I noticed that there was no english/us config for the TV guide.

I haven't gotten the TV to work with my All-In-Wonder yet, but I actually prefer Beyond TV for viewing TV. I have it setup in My Programs.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

L

liljohn

me too, me too!!!!!!

hi all, I'm a n00b and would love to help on this project. I don't have much to offer when it comes to programming, but visually concerned I can aid in the graphics department or contribute a personal webspace for MediaPortal aside from sourceforge. I can also help with documentation and once I get my HTPC finished I will be able to fully test every aspect of the MediaPortal system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom