Hello MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

reyn

May 7, 2009
I have just come across MP and it looks very interesting but I have a question before I dive in.
I have a spare PC (AMD 3400) which is in an adjacent room to the tv, I can see how I would get the feed to the tv using something like a Hauppage MediaMVR if MP supported it but how do I do it using MP, do I have to have another PC in the tv room and feed that from the MP TVServer. What are the options?
I have no problem drilling a hole through the wall and I would really like to use ethernet if possible.

Very basic question I know.
Thanks
Frank

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
If you want to watch TV in two different rooms then yes you need to have two PCs.

A PC with the TV-Server installed (with a TV-Card, digital or analog) that would also have the TV-Client installed (so you can watch TV on it) => this would be connected to your TV using analog or digital video connection.

Another PC with just the TV-Client installed that would connect to the TV-Server. (you will probably watch TV on your PC monitor on that one)

reyn

May 7, 2009
Thanks for the reply, I don't want to watch tv in the MP tvserver room, I only want to watch it on the TV in the adjacent room, I was wondering how to connect the TV to the tvserver through a wall. Do I have to have another PC just to feed the TV in the TV room or do I have to run some sort of cabling from the tvserver PC to the TV and what type of cabling would that be.
Thanks
Frank

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there and welcome :)

You can connect your TV to your PC graphics via various options like VGA, HDMI, DVI, etc. You will have to check you PC/Graphics card output options in conjunction with you TV input connectors.

So basically, if you want to connect your TV to PC in other room, you have 2 options:
    - another PC running the MP client where the PC's video out will connect to the TV video in. This client PC will connect to the TVServer PC via normal network.
    - Normal video cable from TV to TVServer through your wall. This will bring additional challenges, to name one, remote receiver (or keyboard/mouse) that must also be routed through the wall.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    In my original MP setup, My MP machine was in the basement office and my 4x3 TV was on the other side of the house up one floor. I connected a VGAtoTV converter between the computer and the TV, At the time I used an RF modulator to convert the composite/SVideo conectors of the VGAtoTV box to the coaxial cable connector on the back of the TV and let the coax cable run the distance across the house.

I had a RadioShack IR to RF tranceiver kit to send my Remote control keypresses to the computer room (with the Remote's IR receiver connected to the computer) from the livingroom. If I had an IR keyboard/mouse I could have also used those remotely.

So, in a nutshell.... it can be done.

Chuck

reyn

May 7, 2009
    That's reasonably clear, I am assuming that the client PC in the TV room could be a low powered (processor and graphics), quiet, headless affair with all the heavy lifting being carried out on the tvserver machine? I would also want to view h286 video on the TV would the same set up apply?
    Thanks
    Frank

reyn

May 7, 2009
    Took me a while but after reading the manual I now see that I would have to have a fully fledged PC running a full copy of MP in the TV room just to feed the TV and another PC to run the tvserver. Time to have a re-think.
    Thanks
    Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom