Help! I messed something up... (1 Viewer)

henk99

Portal Pro
October 7, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I could really use some help here, as I messed up the sound on my htpc. I started out this afternoon with some codec testing, as I experienced some out of sync sound yesterday.
I was testing with mkv files and at some point I was satisfied and stopped. I then started a TV recording and found I had no sound! Back into the main menu, I also have no sound when moving from one menu item to the next. I have no audio in the music or radio section either. I only have sound when playing back 1080p content in the video section.

The stupid thing is that I don't know which setting I changed to cause this. I feel really embarrassed that I don't know.

My htpc sound is going through HDMI and through SPDIF, but in my vista sound settings I have set it to output on spdif. I have installed SAF and AC3 filter. All was working fine until I started screwing with it, so I guess it most be some small setting I changed.

I did some testing and found the stream files play fine in other players through spdif and receiver. So, the hardware itself is fine, the files are fine, vista is fine. All tests pass. Just in MP only files through the MPC codec (video) and AC3 filter (audio) play fine.

I'm figuring it is a 'global' MP setting, as TV, Music, Radio and menu items are not making any sounds.

Another interesting detail is that when I select HDMI as the default sound output for Vista, I do have all sounds okay. Albeit through my 2 tv speakers only of course.

Can any1 help me find out what I did wrong here (besides screwing with a working system.....)?

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    (besides screwing with a working system.....)?

cant help but could I suggest you consider some disk imaging software?. When you are playing around with machine and something goes wrong it can all be put back as it was before the problem occurred. Paragon (free), norton, acronis all good and offer protection against this sort of thing. Great way to save time and heartache :)

henk99

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

I have solved it by re-installing the latest Realtek driver. I have spent two evenings on it, but didn't find anything that helped. At one point I decided to re-install the audio driver.
    After it was installed, all worked well again. I have no idea still, what was changed when I was setting it up, but I'm glad it is working now.

etheesdad
    I have installed Acronis and I have made an image now. Good tip, it saves me a lot of time in the future I think!

P.Niem

Portal Member
    January 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @ Henk,

After upgrading from RC3 to 1.0 I had some issues with sound as well. I also use MP in combination with SPDIF, but on XP. I have tried several things with codecs. Finally I have searched this forum and found your thread. So I have downloaded the newest driver from Asus / Reatek and have re-installed and all works like a charm now. Many :D for your solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom