help noobs and pros to find the plugin EVERBODY needs (1 Viewer)

Would u find something like this really usefull?

• I don't need something like this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hanfmaster

Portal Pro
January 25, 2006
graz
Home Country
Austria Austria
hallo

i like the option in this forum to specify my sytem in the user CP.
i saw some user have the plugins that they use standing in the signature and i find this very useful.
i see a potential in this, but it needs a wider base.
would it be possible to do something like this with the plugins that i use.
In a second step,it would be the best to sync this with the actual installed plugins that everybody is using in Mediaportal.

the reason why i would suggest such an option is the possibility for every user and the mediaportal-team to see witch plugin really is used by everyone. (statistic)
of course the "big" plugins like MoviePictures , Tv series and some of the Maintained Plugins everybody knows, but when i visit the forum i always stumble across some very usefull "small" plugins.

would it be possible the include the statistic in the Media Portal Extension Installer also?
(where do i have to say HALLO to help the Mediaportal-team by this, i am not a good programmer but there is other work to do and easy programming)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi Hanfmaster - Your suggestion about statistics is good, and I am always trying to find easy ways to collect more statistics about MediaPortal.
    But there are so many issues/problems with putting it in the user specs:
    • I am not sure how much our Forum software can handle, if we can even add such fields. Many users use over 50 plugins, so that is a lot of data
    • Not all users even enter their system specs even though those are critical for getting good support, so I'm not sure we will get accurate results by having users enter the plugins they use in the User CP
    • The data would only be really useful if we could tabulate it and we don't currently have a way to tabulate the results afaik.
    • If users do not keep their plugins data up to date, the results would be inaccurate
    • What do you consider use of a plugin? One time? Occasionally? or Frequent use?
    Your idea to include that in the MPEI (MediaPortal Extension Installer) is interesting. Maybe you could suggest that to Dukus in the Extension Installer V2 forum? However, it would likely only show downloads and not usage, and the downloads would likely include all downloads including updates. So a plugin that does more releases (often due to problems) gets higher downloads. ;)

We currently have a rating system for plugins and skins in our Repository/Downloads section. It seems to me this is the most logical place to enter and view such statistics about plugins. Since that is where new users looks for plugins to download. But users don't use it even though it is incredibly simple to do. My guess would be that you cannot accurately rate a plugin or skin when you first download it and most users don't go back to the downloads section to enter a rating.

Yes, there are lots of great little plugins in the forums. But they do not always get maintained. That is why we created the Popular/Maintained Plugins section. However, many plugins don't even apply to get into the Popular section even though they meet all the criteria!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom