Help with audio issues (2 Viewers)

BobK

Portal Member
December 13, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have been trying to get MP to work as a Media Server with little success. My problem is I have no audio when trying to play a .vob video file. Mpg and mpeg video files have audio. I have tried various release of MP 2.2 and 2.3, and have just tried the 8-17 svn, all with the same result. I tried practically every audio decoder I can think of but still no luck. I am runnig audio out the S/PDIF connection with Music files playing fine, and the ability to play .vob files with mplayer classic, Cyberlink PowerDVD, and DivX player just fine. I have been able to play these video files with audio in the past, but for the life of me can't find what I've changed in my system.

I will gladly make a contribution to the Media Portal Team if someone can help me solve this.

Thanks.

BobK

Portal Member
December 13, 2006
Home Country
Don and eetaglog, thank you so much for your suggestions.

I have tried numerous variations with ffdshow and tried/edited all my listed Directshow filters in MP setup - still no audio playing .vob files.

Some observations -

1. If through explorer, I open a mpg or vob file the video plays fine (I assume using mplayerc because that is the default player for these file types) with audio, and I get the ffdshow OSD information displayed.

2. If I launch these same files throught MP - My Videos, the mpg files play fine and I still see the ffdshow OSD info.
However when I play .vob files I get video, no audio, and no ffdshow OSD. This I assume means through MP, when I play .vob files I do not play them through mplayerc. Incidently, the same result occurs if I use wmp10 as the default .vob player.

Where is the config that tells MP what player to use for a specific file type? Or is something else hosed?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
what happens when you play the files using something other than S/PDIF out? have you tried using an analogue output such as a 2 channel jack to phono connection?

BobK

Portal Member
December 13, 2006
Home Country
I haven't tried auio outputs, as the S/PDIF output is find when playing mpg files.

This may seem like a silly question, but when I look at the ffdshow listing of codecs I don't see any reference to .vob files. Are they decoding by some other codec?

Hellstorm10

August 28, 2007
Home Country
I've been watching this thread closely, as I am having similar audio issues.
However, I am not using S/PDIF output.
I use the regular output on my sound card.

I'm running:
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD X2 4400+ Dual Core CPU
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2 GB OCZ DDR-3200 RAM
520w OCZ ModStream PSU
eVGA GeForce 7800 GT 256MB Video Card
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500MCE Dual Tuner TV Card
HDA Digital X-Mystique sound card
80 GB Hard Drive (OS Install)
300 GB Hard Drive (Media Storage)
SoundGraph Inc. iMON VFD

The .VOB files are in VIDEO_TS folders and they all
play fine with VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player, Media Center, etc.

I even have a moddified XBox running XBMC in my daughters room,
streaming all her Pixar / Dreamworks movies from a network share via CAT 6 Cable.

I have never had any audio issues before.

I just found out about MediaPortal recently, so I decided to give it a try.

**The Video from the .VOB file will play using MediaPortal,
however the audio will not play, no matter what setting or config I chose.

I would also gladly make a donation, if I could get assistance to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.

BobK

Portal Member
December 13, 2006
Home Country
Hellstorm, Sorry to hear you are having a similar audio issue. If you have been struggling with it as long as I, it is incredably frustrating. MP is such a great product, it's a shame I see audio related issues thru out the site. You would think playing a dvd format file with audio would not be rocket science.

My problem (I think) is that MP is not using my default vob player. I have Mplayer Classic as my default player for all file types. I also have ffdshow enabled along with the OSD function (so I can be sure ffdshow is running). If from Explorer I launch any video file, MPclassic opens and the ffdshow OSD appears, and I have audio.

When playing thru MP, mpg files behave as above, but vob files have no audio and I see no ffdshow OSD. This is why I thing MP is using another player for the vob files, but I can find no setup to explain why this would happen.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I don't have any VOB files playing here, however just to make sure, have you tried switching the audio decoder for TV/DVD/Movies ?

In my experience this has been an issue from time to time with different SVNs that you think that you have switched audio decoder in the movie section but in reality MP uses the audio setting of TV for instance. Just to make sure it is not related to this, change audio decoder in all sections of setup before trying...

The audio decoder that has worked the best for me is cyberlink audio and dscaler audio. I haven't found a file that these audio decoders have failed to decode. I am using SPDIF out as well..

BR

BobK

Portal Member
December 13, 2006
Home Country
pnyberg -

Thank you so much! I tried changing the TV setup first, with no result. Then changed DVD, and what do you know - I have audio. I knew it had to be something simple, but............ I tried every decoder imaginable under My Movies setup, but never thought to try DVD.

Thnaks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom