Help with Hardware Specs - New system (1 Viewer)

Becky

November 4, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello,

Would someone mind reviewing what I'm thinking of purchasing for my first PVR system? I found what I think is a good deal on Dell, and I'm curious if there are any red flags that others can see in what I've put together.

Thanks so much!

~Becky

Module: Description
XPS 8500: XPS 8500 Fast track config018
Operating System: Windows 8, 64-bit, English
Processors: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (up to 3.90 GHz)
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs
Keyboard: Dell KB213 Wired Multimedia Keyboard, US-English
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR5 for Win 8
Wireless Driver: Dell SRV Software 1703
Hard Drive: 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
Chassis: XPS8500,BlackChassisw/19:1mediacardreader
Network Card: Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Optical Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD
Sound: Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
Hardware Support Services: 2 Year Enhanced Support
TOTAL: $857.98

I already have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual High Definition Digital Television HDHR3-US.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Looks fine to me, performance wise, but I'd check (if you can) how noisy it might be with a 7200 rpm drive and (probably) several fans - if it's going to be in same room as the TV etc.

Tony

Last edited:

Becky

November 4, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the input! I had planned to put it in the guest bedroom, that has visitors maybe 30-35 days per year. I think for the most part that it will be fine, but now I'm a little concerned. Are there ways to quiet it?

Thanks!

~Becky

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks like overkill for PVR you only need to spend half that or less

To make existing system quieter the easiest methods involve making the fans quieter
    - buy fan controller
    - run fans of motherboard headers and use speed fan
    - buy inline fan resister cables (about $2 for 5 on dx.com)
    - replace with slower rpm quieter fans
    - bios settings for controlling cpu fan
    - using speedfan to slow down the cpu fan

There is no easy way to make a PSU quieter

For a PVR I would get a cheaper CPU and get a 128GB SSD + 3TB HD Green HDD

I'd recommend if you do buy the above system, you just grab the little resister cables from dx.com and you can chuck a couple onto the fans if you find it noisy. Don't bother putting a resister on the cpu fan, as that is always software controllable.

Last edited:

Becky

November 4, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks kiwijunglist!

Would you mind expanding on what you've said above? Do I need to try all of those fan quieting methods, combo's of those, or just one?

How much of a cheaper CPU? What GHz should I be looking for? I went with the highest I could afford, because I want it to last a long time. Is my logic faulty?

Thanks again for the input! I really appreciate all the help I can get!

~Becky

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If I had $2000 I could buy a $2000 computer that would last 4 years, or I could buy a $1400 that would last 3 years then sell it for $400 and get another $1400 computer, giving me a total of 6 years. It's not always best to buy the most expensive you can afford.

I just put together a new HTPC
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/silverstone-grandia-gd07-ideal-large-htpc-case.113436/

I think an i3-2100 CPU would last 4-6 years in an HTPC. I don't know much about the AMD CPUs, but probably looking at an A6 or A8, whichever one is similar in price to the i3-2100.
    Ram - 8gb is heaps, doesn't need to be expensive or fast ram.
    HDD - I'd go for a small 128gb SSD and a larger 3TB media drive (3TB is the largest size you can buy, you can buy larger but you'd pay more than 5x the price per megabyte)
    Video Card - Don't use the onboard video that comes with i3-2100 CPU, you need a seperate video card eg. ATI HD6450 ATI HD7750. I don't know the nvidia ones, but I'd assume that any current generation nvidia card would be fine for HTPC.
    Remote control - You should buy MCE remote + receiver, or an MCE clone remote + receiver (around $20-40 on ebay)

I get the feeling you don't know a lot about computers which is unfortunately in that you can't just buy the parts seperately.

You just need to use one or more of those methods. I will change my answer to make it simpler and just say you should buy the 5x inline resisters for $2. then add them as needed 0,1,or 2 of them to every case fan.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Becky,

Just to give you an idea about the performance you actually need for an average HTPC running MediaPortal, my HTPC is a 3-year old Dell Vostro 200 (slimline) with an Intel E4400 (2.2GHz dual-core) CPU, 4GB of RAM, nVidia GT430 video card and 2.5" 250GB drive + 3.5" 2TB 'green' drive. This will happily record 3 x HDTV channels while watching another channel or a recording, so you don't need mega CPU performance or very fast hard drives for an HTPC PVR.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom