Hi everyone - long time WMC user here ready to change :) (1 Viewer)

Bozzaspad

June 14, 2014
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Been a WMC user since it 1st came out and have been happy with it, but recently started to get a little tired that essentially its the same ( although more stable ) as it was 10 years ago.

It plays all my media fine, linked to my server, reords tv etc but no Netflix is a pain and looking at Media portal it has apps etc and is constantly being updated ( which WMC isn't ), so have decided to have a look at it.

I have just a few questions if anyone can help me out.

Does Mediaportal wake the PC from sleep to record a TV program and then go back to sleep when finished?

I had a look at Mediaportal 2 but there doesn't seem to be any apps etc for it, is this still Beta or in development? Should I stick with Mediaportal 1?

And lastly, although im not sure I can, can I somehow map my media center remote to start mediaportal instead of MCE? Im guessing I cant.

Thanks in advance

Bozza

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @JackTramiel is totally right but to answer more precisely:
    (from what you write it seems as you are working with a single seat setup, so let's take this as given)

MP has a built in power scheduler (had been a plugin for a long time) which takes care of all these matters.
    It configures the windows power settings according to the choosen profile.
    Because it's only windows that takes care of this there is nothing which could interfere.
    The scenario you've asked about is the standard scenario and should be no problem at all.

MP2 is the thing of the future. It will be really great and THE htpc software. As for now it has not reached the beta stadium
    which is why I wouldn't recommend that for now for a user like you.
    However the beta version is expected to come out this year and mediaportal beta versions are usually more stable then other betas,
    so chances are that the mp2 beta is as stable as to use it on daily basis.
    Since mp1 and mp2 can run alongside without interfering it's always worth having a look at the current mp2 version.

The third answer can really be as short as Jack did it.

Maybe you have a look at the wiki or just install mp.
    And don'd hesitate to ask if you encounter problems...

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi and welcome Bozza ;)

Seems you are in good hands with the answers/help from the guys above.
    Have fun with MediaPortal! (y)

Bozzaspad

June 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Guys,

Thanks for your quick responses, I will read the wiki yes and ill have a play before I ask anymore questions, I have to say it all looks very good :0)

Thanks all again
    Bozza

Neild7744

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2013
    Home Country
    If you want customisation then mediaportal is the solution. It has soo much more menus and features over mce. I was a dedicated mce user until I got annoyed with unreliable hacks to get mce running how I wanted. That's why I switched to mediaportal. Be prepared to do a bit if learning...but is well worth the effort. If your looking for things like netflix, there is a plugin but ain't supported outside the USA I'm told. Online videos plugin addresses streaming which is ok...but my personal opinion is it needs more work. There are however brilliant plugins such as moving pictures for movies and MP tv series which are very good and reliable. I'm a big fan of mediaportal and there is plenty of support and help!

cohiba

January 1, 1970
    I was a wmc user of the first hour and switched from wmc to mp 1.5 year ago, and no regret! New developments all the time in mp, good to see the product evolving so fast. I use my wmc remote without any config or tweak, works out of the box. The only thing I miss from wmc is the awesome screensaver with your pictures. I have not found anything like it in mp.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The only thing I miss from wmc is the awesome screensaver with your pictures. I have not found anything like it in mp.
    MediaPortal uses the Windows Screensaver function, which has the 'Photo Galery' option which you can use (and configure) to display your pictures as screensaver. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom