Codecs Hi10P codec problem (1 Viewer)

Neoculture

Portal Pro
November 20, 2011
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
I am running MP 1.2.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium. The reason I set it up in the first place is that my previous media-player (WDTV Live) was unable to handle a new-ish codec that has appeared in the anime fansub circuit.

I am of course talking about the "Hi10P" version of the H.264 codec.

In an attempt to ensure the presence of a Hi10P-aware codec, I loaded the November release of the Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) which contains such codecs as well as Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC).

Here's the rub - when I run my anime through MPC-HC, they play correctly. When I play through MediaPortal's internal player, I'm lucky to get sound and I never get video. And in some cases, it seems to do horrible things to the player because I am not able to play "normal" videos afterwards and end up having to reboot. Changing MP to use MPC-HC as an external player (with the options "%filename% /play /close /fullscreen") doesn't help either - while MPC-HC seems to handle the video file, when I press "stop" (or "pause") my whole installation goes bug-crazy (MPC-HC goes off full-screen but doesn't seem to close down, background frozen to last played frame, etc...) and I again need to reboot the system. :mad:

Does anyone know what options I need to set in the Codec sections to be able to play Hi10P files?

:D Thanks.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is that the file extension, did you add it to the video\extensions in MP config.

if you can point to a example, then we can do some testing, preferably just using the recommended LAV filters.

Neoculture

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2011
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The extension is mkv, and as I said 8bit H.264 mkv files play without a problem.

Most of the Hi10P files out are the moment are from the anime fansub community - I am at work ATM, but I'll post some links to examples later this evening (local time GMT+10).

I notice you talk about "recommended LAV filters". What are they? I noticed there was a "LAV" option in the codec list for H24 codecs - is that what you mean?

BTW - best results I had (sound but no video) was when I ticked the "auto-codec" option box. Until then, the system just sat there and did nothing (or at least, nothing visible :) )

UPDATE:
    Forgot I had a tablet with me which is not crippled by the firewall at work.

Here is an example of a Hi10P file:
    NyaaTorrents >> Torrent Information >> [SFWhine]_Last_Exile_-Fam,_The_Silver_Wing-_-_09_[720p][Hi10P][81108940].mkv

I am grateful for any help you can throw my way.

Neoculture

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2011
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I tried the LAV 0.42 pack... no luck. Installed SAF6 (which promptly un-installed CCCP and LAV)... better luck, but major stuttering.

<sigh>

Maybe I need to upgrade my motherboard/CPU combo. I was using an Asus E35M1-M Pro Integrated E350 DualCore all-in-one because of its passive cooling, but I'm starting to think it might be a tad underpowered to run MediaPortal. And I now (to top it all off), MP is telling me it has problems connecting to the TV server located on the same PC.

<doublesigh>

Right. Packing it in for Christmas - plug the WDTV back in, even if it won't do Hi10P, and come back to this after New Years when I'll have time to look into it properly. :(

kjarrig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    If you play the file in GraphStudio which is included in SAF6, does it stutter?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you outputting at full HD, try lowering to 720p and see if any better, looking at the overall specs I think it will struggle, especially as it will not run dual channel memory.

Neoculture

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2011
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If you play the file in GraphStudio which is included in SAF6, does it stutter?

Sorry, I have no idea - I have shelved this PC for the holidays and plugged my WDTV back in its place. I'll get back to it in the new year.:sorry:

Are you outputting at full HD, try lowering to 720p and see if any better, looking at the overall specs I think it will struggle, especially as it will not run dual channel memory.

I figured the MB+CPU might be underpowered. Which is a shame 'cause it made the HTPC really quiet. Ah well, in the new year I'll look up a new MB+CPU+GPU trio (probably an intel i5 suite) and add another 4GB of memory, just to be on the safe side. And if I still have room on the mATX motherboard, I'll add a CAM card to access PPV channels.

Things to look forward to...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom