[solved] HID Repeat Settings Not Effective (1 Viewer)

Sam.F

Portal Member
August 30, 2009
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Everyone,

I have my MP 1.13 installation setup to use an HID remote (Logitech Harmony 700 emulating a Microsoft Media Centre remote).

I have an issue with button repeats being too fast, so I changed the 'Repeat Delay' and 'Repeat Speed' settings in MP Configuration to 500 and 200ms respectively. However, this appears to have made no difference to the behaviour of the remote input and the issue persists.

I have also enabled extended logging to try to get a bit more information about this, but I can't locate the extended log file or find any reference to it's location on the net.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Sam.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Sam

I have an issue with button repeats being too fast...
    All buttons, or just some?
    (Repeat behaviour is not always the same for all buttons.)

When you say "too fast", is it the repeat delay which is too short, or the repeat speed which is too fast, or both?

In case you don't understand the difference between delay and speed, a rough explanation follows...
    Code:
    |  ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    |     | | | | | | | | | | |
    |   |  |  |  |  |  |  |

If each pipe character (|) in the above three lines is a repeat, the gap between the first and second is the delay, and the gap between the second and third (or third and fourth, or fourth and fifth etc.) is the speed.
    Line 1 has the shortest delay and fastest speed.
    Line 2 has the longest delay with medium speed.
    Line 3 has a medium delay with slowest speed.

Clear?

Logitech Harmony 700 emulating a Microsoft Media Centre remote
    This in itself could be the source of the problem. Emulators don't always generate the correct commands.

to 500 and 200ms
    That's not particularly slow; 200 ms is still 5 times per second. I'd suggest you try higher values.

I have also enabled extended logging to try to get a bit more information about this, but I can't locate the extended log file or find any reference to it's location on the net.
    The extended logging option adds additional content in the main MediaPortal log file (c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log\MediaPortal.log). It doesn't create a new log file.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to resolve this?
    Not yet. More information is needed.
    Please try higher repeat delay and/or speed settings as suggested. If than doesn't help, reply with answers to my questions, and ideally also provide log files (enable the extended logging option, then use the provided Watchdog tool with option 1 or 2 to reproduce the problem).

Regards,
    mm

Sam.F

Portal Member
    August 30, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi MM, thanks for your reply.

This happens with only some buttons. Some notable examples are:
    - Mute (does not function as we get a 'double' command returning the mute state to what it was previously
    - Directional buttons (scrolling through the guide is too fast & when skipping forward backward by incremental steps, the buttons must be pressed very briefly otherwise the options scroll immediately to 'end')

Yes, both the repeat delay and repeat speed is too fast.

While I understand that the remote itself is probably generating repeat commands too fast, my understanding was that the repeat settings are intended to filter out unwanted repeat commands. Is this not correct?

I have also tried with 5000 and 2000ms settings with the same results.

I will generate an extended log and upload it.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    - Mute (does not function as we get a 'double' command returning the mute state to what it was previously
    That's a known issue which was fixed in a later version of MP. I suggest your upgrade to MP1.15 to fix that.

Directional buttons (scrolling through the guide is too fast & when skipping forward backward by incremental steps, the buttons must be pressed very briefly otherwise the options scroll immediately to 'end')
    Those keys are not controlled by the MP1 HID settings but rather by your Windows system settings. Go to your keyboard settings and adjust them to suite your needs.

Sam.F

Portal Member
    August 30, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmm, I would love to upgrade to 1.15, but unfortunately we use the MP-TVSeries plugin heavily and it appears that this only supports up to v1.13...

Could I re-map the remote button action to emulate the 'M' keyboard key to get around this bug?

I'll try changing the windows settings and see what happens.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes there is a way to fix it for MP 1.13 too. You need to edit the XML file for the mapping and remove the block for the mute key.

Sam.F

Portal Member
    August 30, 2009
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TVSeries is working flawlessly under 1.15

Thanks HTPCSourcer, good to know!

I did manage to work around the mute issue by mapping the 'mute' function to the 'M' key, but I'll take a look at the XML file too. Stéphane Lenclud, when you say 'remove the block', what do you mean, and which XML file needs to be edited?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Try searching the forum for the specifics. I'm on the move with my mobile phone so I can't easily dig up those info just now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom