Completed Hiper Media Chassis w/ FloppyDTV (1 Viewer)

moiristo

Portal Pro
November 17, 2006
Enschede
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
All finished and it looks great! I thought it is good to post my findings here for other ppl that are thinking of buying this case.

Specs:

- Hiper Media Chassis (200W PSU included)
- Asus M2NPV-VM Mobo (onboard GF6150, nforce 430, HD audio, IEEE1394, DVI)
- AMD CPU Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz, 1000 MHz, 128 KB L1, 512 KB L2, Boxed
- DVD±RW NEC AD-7630 - Black - Slimline - Slot-in
- Samsung HDD SpinPoint P120 250 GB, 7200 Rpm, 8 MB, S-ATA II/300
- TwinMos DDR2 Memory Dual Channel 1024 MB, PC5300, 667 MHz, 5, Kit Of 2
- FloppyDTV-C OEM + Alphacrypt CAM
- Microsoft Remote Control+Receiver Windows XP Media Center Edition IR+Teletext
- Sitecom WiFi WL-172 Turbo
- Dynatron CPU Cooler A48G Copper (only 1U heatsink used)

Problems / remarks (chronological order):

- HDD installation: Attaching it to the case was no problem at all, but there is very little space left for the power and sata cable. You really need to squeeze it between the disk and the (fortunately flexible) PSU

- DVD Drive: No problems at all! The case comes with a special card to convert the laptop port to IDE + power connector. Be careful not to lose the small screws that come with the case, because normal screws don't fit in the drive.

- Dynatron Cooler: The heatsink that comes with the CPU is to high for the case, therefore you need to buy a 1U cooler. The A48G was the only one available at my online shop, but I thought it would do fine. Attaching it to the motherboard was no problem, but after running the HTPC for the first time, it became clear that the fan was very noisy. The cooler was meant for a server rack, blowing hot air to the side instead of up. The fan is very small, so it needs to spin very hard (up to 7000RPM -> 54 dba).
Clearly, it was wrong to buy this. Removing the fan revealed a placeholder with a small hole. I was thinking of putting the bigger fan that came with the CPU on this heatsink, but the small hole in the placeholder worried me. After testing it now, I'm more confident that this won't be a problem, since the cpu didn't get hotter than 60 degrees after running at 100% for half an hour. Besides that, it was nice and quiet! :cool:

Motherboard: You need to remove the front USB card first, otherwise it will become very hard to put it into place. Considering the location of the PCI slots and the hole in the case for one PCI card, I really wouldn't know how you could install a PCI card (even with a riser card). Maybe I should have bought another motherboard, too :confused:

FloppyDTV: Fortunately, I don't need a pci slot for the floppydtv. First, I attached the PCI bracket to the card. The card is heavier than I thought, so I thought I would have to support it with something a little. Putting it into place showed that you have to install it upside down. Support is not needed, since it can rest upon the cables that lie all over the case. I did however put some cardboard on top of it, since it is very probable that the bottom side would otherwise make contact with the case.

Then my biggest problem: PSU Trouble!
First, the PSU has a 20-pin power connector, while the power connector on the board has 24. Attaching it to 20 of the 24 pins was no problem however. This 'could cause trouble' according to the motherboard manual, but it seems to work fine.
Second, while the 20-pin power cable is very (too) long, the 4-pin CPU power connector is too short :eek: The cable coming from the PSU couldn't reach the connector on the board placed on the far side of the case (it needed about 2cm extra). I finally extended it with a connector from an old PSU and some tape. They clearly have to improve this default PSU.

Closing the case
The case really has a function here, since you really need to push everything down to make it all fit. An efficient way of positioning the cables is a must! However, it is hard to make room for the long power cable. I did manage to keep the space above the CPU fan free of any cables, which is probably good for the airflow, but it is also nice that you don't see them through the roster on the case.

Conclusions
The case looks very slick! I would recommend everybody to use a slot-in dvd player; it looks much better than a standard laptop drive. I installed Windows MCE 2005 on it (together with MP:)). The IR receiver and wlan card worked straight away. Total costs: about €500 + €200 for the floppyDTV and Alphacrypt CAM.

Attachments

• S7300343.JPG
    S7300343.JPG
    3.2 MB
  • S7300342.JPG
    S7300342.JPG
    3.1 MB
  • S7300340.JPG
    S7300340.JPG
    3.1 MB
  • S7300341.JPG
    S7300341.JPG
    3.1 MB
  • S7300346.JPG
    S7300346.JPG
    3.2 MB
  • S7300347.JPG
    S7300347.JPG
    3.1 MB
  • S7300348.JPG
    S7300348.JPG
    3.2 MB

recoil

Portal Pro
March 25, 2007
hi mate, getting confused here, i have the same case about the noise levels, are you saying you have no fan on the CPU or have you fitted a different quieter one. my set up is noisy Im not sure if its the HDD or the CPU.

moiristo

Portal Pro
November 17, 2006
Enschede
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I'd bought a dynatron copper sink with (server) cooler fan, which was too noisy. I therefore mounted the fan that came with the CPU (boxed) on the sink and threw the dynatron fan away :)

I have to say that I still find the fan too loud (even with the cool'n'quiet feature on), so maybe in the near future I'll put a Zalman fan on it. Passive cooling was not an option to me, the sink alone cannot cool the cpu on its own.

recoil

Portal Pro
March 25, 2007
I dont think the passive cooloing option would work either, think the CPU would prolly go bang, what make HDD have you got, I think it might be that on mine, and do you think your HDD is quite

moiristo

Portal Pro
November 17, 2006
Enschede
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I found out that atm the power fan is louder than the cpu fan. It is because I can't plugin the power fan on the mobo, therefore you can't control its speed.

pannivas

Portal Pro
July 26, 2006
Nicosia
Home Country
Cyprus Cyprus
nice project moiristo but i would personally need some more information and screenshots.

I would really like to see screenshots of your HTPC.
1) Front open and close
2) TOP open and close
3) Both sides open and close.

Also can you please comment on the heat levels of your cpu,system?
Also how is the noise of the power supply? Does it have a build in loud fan?

moiristo

Portal Pro
November 17, 2006
Enschede
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I would really like to see screenshots of your HTPC.
1) Front open and close
2) TOP open and close
3) Both sides open and close.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a digital camera, then I'll post some pictures.

Also can you please comment on the heat levels of your cpu,system?

I don't know about the heat coming from the HDD, but I can tell you about the cpu. I have enabled AMD's Cool'n'Quiet technology to enable underclocking, which means that the cpu will generate less heat. When just watching a divX movie, it runs fine at 1000mhz, which causes the fan to only run at about 1000rpm, resulting in a temperature of about 30-40 degrees. When I use the floppyDTV, it needs some more power, causing the temperature to rise to 45-50 degrees. The fan is running at about 2000 rpm in that case. As I already explained, it doesn't exceed 60 degrees. Moreover, since the CPU is on the far right and there are enough ventilation rosters on the case, the overall temperature of the system won't become very high.

Also how is the noise of the power supply? Does it have a build in loud fan?

The fan is small, because the case is only 7cm high. It has only two pins, while the mobo needs three to measure/control the speed :(. Therefore, it is directly connected to the psu, and thus running at full speed. In a silent room the noise is clearly present, but when watching movies or listening music at 'normal' volume, you won't hear it.

I have heard that Hiper is releasing some new cases with similar sizes as the Media Chassis. It could be that they contain a better PSU than this one.

pannivas

Portal Pro
July 26, 2006
Nicosia
Home Country
Cyprus Cyprus
thanks for your replies it would be great to see some pictures of it.

1) Are there any ventilation holes above the CPU on the TOP panel?
2) Which model is your Hiper Case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom