dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi all,

I hope this isn't too far off-topic, but I've got a couple of network issues that have been bugging me for a while. Actually one oldie and one brand new issue.

First issue is this: I've got my HTPC (XP) set up to share throughout the house for streaming etc. I also like to move files from my laptop (Windows 7) or do basic MP maintenance from the bedroom from time to time. The problem is that the Application Data folder and all of its sub-folders on my HTPC don't seem to allow any LAN access. I have all the permissions set correctly (In fact the entire C drive should be set for full permissions), and I have even gone in to the individual folders and set them as "shared" manually, but no joy. This is relevant to MP since Application Data is where all the cache, thumb, logo, etc files live. I've been trying to tweak my TV logos lately and this issue makes it a bit of a pain.

btw - I also have this issue when using an XP laptop.

Second issue (may be a Windows 7 bug): Since I installed Win 7, I have not been able to drag and drop files from my laptop onto the HTPC (XP) through the Network explorer window. If I copy the files on the laptop then paste into the HTPC network explorer window, everything works fine. But the simple drag and drop results in a "you need permission to do that" message. I skipped Vista and went straight from XP to 7, so maybe this is something I was supposed to learn about with Vista?

Neither of these issues is critical, but they both cause minor headaches. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    As you have skipped VISTA then there are some changes that may help compared to XP.

When setting up shares you need to set up both 'sharing' and 'security' to get access to work.

You will need to add NETWORK to both (or specific users etc ).It feels a little awkward at first but is in fact more powerful than XP.

Check security tab for your share and ensure you have NETWORK in 'Goup Or User Names' and then sert permissions.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    Thanks for the advice. I realize Windows 7 is in beta, but as I noted the first problem applies to XP as well. The second problem is a fairly minor issue, but I was hoping there was a simple setting in Win 7 held over from Vista. I am certainly not using 7 as my main HTPC OS, but trying to use it on a laptop to get a sense for what works and what doesn't. As I understand it, that's what "for testing purposes" means.

I do use VNC, especially when I'm away from home. It's a great program. However, often all I want to do is add some files to a folder from my laptop, rename some files, or even look to see what's in a folder. VNC is sort of overkill for this, especially if I want to do it while someone else is using the HTPC since it takes over the display.

Have any of you been able to share folders within Application Data on your LANs or is that just protected by default in XP? Neither of these is a huge issue, just matters of small convenience.

Hi SciDoctor,

You posted while I was posting so I missed your message. Thanks for the hints, that looks like what I was after. I'll try it this afternoon when I get a chance.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi all,

I hope this isn't too far off-topic, but I've got a couple of network issues that have been bugging me for a while. Actually one oldie and one brand new issue.

First issue is this: I've got my HTPC (XP) set up to share throughout the house for streaming etc. I also like to move files from my laptop (Windows 7) or do basic MP maintenance from the bedroom from time to time. The problem is that the Application Data folder and all of its sub-folders on my HTPC don't seem to allow any LAN access. I have all the permissions set correctly (In fact the entire C drive should be set for full permissions), and I have even gone in to the individual folders and set them as "shared" manually, but no joy. This is relevant to MP since Application Data is where all the cache, thumb, logo, etc files live. I've been trying to tweak my TV logos lately and this issue makes it a bit of a pain.

btw - I also have this issue when using an XP laptop.

Second issue (may be a Windows 7 bug): Since I installed Win 7, I have not been able to drag and drop files from my laptop onto the HTPC (XP) through the Network explorer window. If I copy the files on the laptop then paste into the HTPC network explorer window, everything works fine. But the simple drag and drop results in a "you need permission to do that" message. I skipped Vista and went straight from XP to 7, so maybe this is something I was supposed to learn about with Vista?

Neither of these issues is critical, but they both cause minor headaches. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I do this all the time. What I do is use the same user/pass for my accounts over my home machines, then just use \\hostname\c$\Documents and Settings\ etc etc. You should turn off Simple Filesharing also. My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Scroll to the bottom and disable Simple Filesharing. Even if you don't have matching user/pass between computers, it should at least prompt you to enter user credentials. You don't have to enable "manual filesharing" at all since c$ is always shared adminsitratively.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    Great, thanks for the help! I've still got some tinkering to do, but all of these suggestions have gotten me on the right track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom