Home Screen. Can see TV option but no way to select it or any items on the pop up menu. (1 Viewer)

Tabasco5953

February 2, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I can see the Music/TV/Videos Radio/Pictures/Plugins graphics. When I select the TV graphic, it reacts but does not go to another screen. Sometimes the TV/Recordings/TVGuide/Scheduled recordings/Search TV Guide menu pops up but I cannot mouse over to it as it just disappears.

I already have a headache and am bummed that WMC is going away. I have still not upgraded to Windows 10 aka spyware because of this issue.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

Can you please tell us which version of MediaPortal you're using - version 1 (latest release 1.13) or version 2.

Tabasco5953

February 2, 2016
    Home Country
    Hello, I finally figured it out. For some reason, when I click on the TV graphic and the menu pops up, I have to use my keyboard to select items in that menu. I cannot select items using the mouse. Moving the mouse to that menu selects Video. I am anxious to use this but the setup is very involved with many technical steps, acronyms and jargon. It took awhile to understand that I had to use the TV Server Configuration to scan channels. I can see my local channels but am totally confused by the instructions to setup the Web EPG.

Do I have to go into the imdb xml file and make individual entries (?) for each station? This is pretty insane. I am unclear as to where the imdb listing (left column in listing but where is the listing?) is located.

I can see this may take several days of tinkering to get it setup. I am afraid this is not ready for regular users. I just downloaded it today and am using 1.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Right. You did not answer my question, so you're not making it easy to help you. ;)

For some reason, when I click on the TV graphic and the menu pops up, I have to use my keyboard to select items in that menu. I cannot select items using the mouse.
    If I guess that you're using MediaPortal 1 then this can all be explained by the fact that our default skin "Titan" is designed for use with a remote control. It doesn't work particularly well with a mouse. If you intend to use MediaPortal with a mouse and keyboard then I recommend you switch to a different skin. This is very simple. Have a look through the choices available -->here<-- and see if any take your fancy. Once you find one you like, install it and try it out. If all of that feels too overwhelming, the simplest thing you can do is to:
    1. Open MediaPortal Configuration.
    2. Go to the GUI section.
    3. Switch from Titan to DefaultWide.
    4. Click OK in the bottom right corner to save and close MP Configuration.
    Now when you open MediaPortal you should be able to use a mouse.

I am anxious to use this but the setup is very involved with many technical steps, acronyms and jargon.
    There's absolutely no need for setup to be "involved with many technical steps".
    I hope you've found our wiki (manual) and are following one of the setup guides:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Quick_Setup

I can see my local channels but am totally confused by the instructions to setup the Web EPG.
    If you want a simple setup then WebEPG is the worst possible choice you could have made. Yes, it's free... however there's always a trade-off. I'd sooner have recommend mc2xml. The setup guide for mc2xml would be easier to follow. It's never too late to change. Whichever EPG option you choose, don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

Do I have to go into the imdb xml file and make individual entries (?) for each station?
    If using WebEPG with the IMDB grabber then yes, you do.

This is pretty insane.
    I don't disagree. Like I said, if you wanted simple then WebEPG is basically the worst possible choice you could have made.

I can see this may take several days of tinkering to get it setup. I am afraid this is not ready for regular users.
    As above: it doesn't have to be hard, but the choices you're making aren't helping...

Tabasco5953

February 2, 2016
    Home Country
    After futzing around with it for awhile I was able to load up the TV Guide and see/record TV shows on my PC. I went through putting in individual channels using the imdb listings into the xml file but I was not sure if that was necessary if there is the Grab It feature. At any rate, it seems to work somewhat.

The TV Guide sometimes shows data for all of the channels selected but then loses the data at other times. I have not tried to playback recordings. As clunky and basic as WMC is, it is simpler. I just put in the zip code, select a genericTV provider (I am using an antenna connected to my PC) and it keeps up with the listings. I would be happy to pay for a new version of WMC (dang MS) that was just as simple and basic.

I actually just want the TV watch/record/playback function as a standalone entity. Thanks for your help. When I have time I will go back and see what is up with the TV Guide data and see if I can get it to work.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The TV Guide sometimes shows data for all of the channels selected but then loses the data at other times.
    I'd be willing to help you with this if you want help. However you'll need to provide screenshots of your configuration, log files etc. in order to enable me (or anybody else to diagnose the situation.

As clunky and basic as WMC is, it is simpler. I just put in the zip code, select a genericTV provider (I am using an antenna connected to my PC) and it keeps up with the listings. I would be happy to pay for a new version of WMC (dang MS) that was just as simple and basic.
    I understand what you're saying. MediaPortal has never been as simple to configure and use as WMC. That's partly by design (some people actually want something more flexible and/or capable than WMC) and partly because WMC is/was backed by a company with thousands of engineers and billions of dollars in the bank (whereas we probably have less than 20 engineers contributing in their spare time and rely on donations to cover our costs).

[edit: I should say...
    Microsoft pay on your behalf for WMC's guide data. It's free to you, but it's not free to them... and we certainly can't afford to provide the same service. Nevertheless, mc2xml gives you the ability to receive WMCs guide data, which is partly why I recommended it.]

Anyhow, like I said: I'm willing to help if you can provide details of the things you're struggling with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom