How about dreambox as a tv tuner? (1 Viewer)

bob808

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2008
    Hampshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How about using a dreambox as a tv tuner? If MediaPortal could take a list of channels from the dreambox, and then just stream over the lan the .ts for live tv that could be really useful and a very quick way to add a tuner to the system.

The dreambox supports channel change via web or telnet commands, and can stream the .ts over the network, so it should be a pretty robust and lightweight way of doing this?

i have seen the mydreambox plugin, but that is just a plugin... I am thinking of having TVE3 actually supporting a dreambox as a tuning source.

Any thoughts?

bob808

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2008
    Hampshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    is there any guidance or documentation around what needs to be done to setup a new tuner? I have one, and can even open up ports so that it can be telnet'ed into or the webif could be accessed for testing...

I dont know anything about MP coding, but do know a #llittle# about how the dreambox works so am happy to help get this off the ground if anyone is interested in working on it?

Thanks

bob808

shanek

Portal Member
    May 22, 2006
    Yes agree this would be a great feature if possible, i use a little app to get the dreambox to change channels that came with the tv3 blaster plugin but would love it if 1, mediaportal could use dreambox as a tuner and 2 if mediaportal would just add a simple feature to run a command on channel change so i dont need plugins. If media portal could run xxxx.exe %1 ie channel number i would be happy as i have it comming in via mce150 card

meierk

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I suggested having the developers team up with the DVB Dream developers to accomplish the same thing in the Improvement Suggestions forum. Every time I have installed MP in past past 1.5 years, I have either been unsuccessful at getting TV (DishNet) working or it has worked in a limited capacity. The first thing I usually do when rebuilding my machine is setup DVB Dream and I can usually have it fully operational within 10 minutes. At least then I can use another utility to bring the channel information into MediaPortal via a great utility mentioned elsewhere in these forums. Without this utility, I can spend hours scanning, renaming, sorting, etc and usually without any success.

Being an Solution Architecture, I'm all for reuse and totally against reinventing the wheel. I'm sure some users never have a problem with the TV Server, but I have multi issues every single time I install it. Whether the devs consider some level of integration with DVB Dream or a Dreambox (or other) plugin, makes no difference to me as long as it works at the end of the day.

I don't want anyone to get the impression that I am not greatful for the work that the developers have done. On the contrary, I have tried every media related software I could get my hands on over the past 3 years and nothing matches the flexibility and feature set that MediaPortal offers. I commend the developers on their efforts and must say I'm also amazed at the amount of issues that are closed on every release. I simply believe that development efforts could be better focused to bring MP to true greatness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom